Bolt Snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SS Bolt snaps are roughly 4 dollars each at the local Lowes...there is an online outfit that sells them cheaper but thats about the cheapest I have seen them otherwise...

Wayward Son:
I've seen people use nylon zip ties, dunno if that's considered DIR or not but it doesn meet the requirement of a method of attachment that can be cut.

Your knife won't cut a zip tie?

Wayward Son:
Buy them at Lowes or Home Depot. SS is still more than $1.20, but less than what a dive shop usually charges.

I've seen people use nylon zip ties, dunno if that's considered DIR or not but it doesn meet the requirement of a method of attachment that can be cut.

Just wanted to let you all know that I asked the same question on the Quest list a month or 2 ago, and the answer I got was officially, no, the zip ties are not DIR.
They are considered breakaway connections since they break if you twist them 90 degress. But I know that alot of people still use them.

I use multiple zip ties (usually two per snapbolt) - you'd have to do some serious twisting to break those.. plus I carry emt shears instead of a knife.. the thing will go through a penny like butter - zipties shouldn't pose much of a threat.

But I understand that the DIR crowd specifies caveline... so I don't want to get into an argument there. I just suck at tieing squareknots...so I use zips..

D.

I always wondered if there was a channel for diving... how do I connect?

lord1234:
SS Bolt snaps are roughly 4 dollars each at the local Lowes...there is an online outfit that sells them cheaper but thats about the cheapest I have seen them otherwise...

Daylonious:
if there's a little hole there then your spring isn't SS and could *potentially* foul or rust - locking up the bolt snap. (I think that the hole is to periodically drop a little dab or oil silicon grease or something in there)

About four years ago I got 4 solid brass bolt snaps that had the little holes. To see what would happen I filled the hole on two of them with grease and I left the other two. The two without grease had the springs rust in about one year but I'm still using the other two.

john

lows is a good placfe to go i would just go with the ss its wroth the 4 bucks vs the 1.20 more time to clean too

Try this website for snap ss bolt snaps. They look more reasonable than any place I've found. Since in DIR you use a lot of these you may want to calculate what you'll need and order all of them.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom