Bonaire, Belize, ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajdaniel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, new to this board and thought I'd try to get some opinions. I am looking to take a trip with a buddy at my same skill level next month May 15th for a week. We are both NAUI cert. (mine 3 yrs ago and him recently). Neither of us have any dives under our belts post cert. I am trying to determine which would be better for us, Belize (ambergris caye), Bonaire, Grand Cayman. Cayman's are pretty expensive which is why we were looking at the other two. Thanks!!

Hi, and welcome. I've been to all 3, yes, Caymans is more expensive, but it's really nice we went post the big hurricane so i don't know how it's right now. I personally would go back to Bonaire in 2 sec. it's really nice there for diving. Belize is also really nice..but, hubby and I liked the diving in Bonaire the best. We stayed at the Plaza and we loved it there...and used Toucan Divers. all the staff was really nice and pleasant. good luck

Glad to see you're about to go for "the real deal". I'm assuming (hoping) that because you're 3 years past your cert, but with no dives at all, not to mention in the last six months, that you'll do a refresher of some kind before you go, or FIRST thing on your arrival at your destination. At this point, I'd say your newly certified friend is more prepared to dive than you.

If I were to assess just the diving, I'd say go for Bonaire over Ambergris key (IMHO). But as a first-time trip, I'd recommend Ambergris Key. You'll have a greater concentration of dive operators in a smaller area, and explaining your experience to the dive company, you'll be sure someone will be checking on your performance. Of course, you still need to be sure you're diving with a company that has a record of responsibility. Go read other threads in the Belize forum, and you'll learn all you need.

Now you can do all of that in Bonaire, but it's very largely geared toward shore diving (almost always free of a divemaster). It's a great experience, but one for someone who is pretty confident about their gear and diving routine. Maybe later ...

If you're on a budget, I'd recommend Patojo's for a dive company on Ambergris. Small groups, their DM's (especially Tony) are helpful and a lot of fun (Chabo is downright nuts!) but safe, and you can bargain if you say you'll do "X" number of dives with them, so what's their best deal. If they don't suit you, you're about 50 feet from plenty of other operators.

Bonaire, been to all you mentioned, just doesn't get much easier than Bonaire. After some experience, the walls in Little Cayman, and the Drifts/boat dives of Belize will be good also. Good Luck!

Hoa!

thank you for all of the replies!! Bonaire it is then! Found this really good deal ($1500 US) at the Plaza including 6 days of double tank dives and unl shore diving for 2 people. $350 extra for a truck (which we want). I think that we will use the first day to refresh and boat dive for some experience before going out ourselves to shore dive. (I still remember my dive tables :) ) Anyone have any other experience with the op Toucan?

I personally found the diving in Belize very nice. I absolutely would NOT recommend the Blue Hole (the big dive in Belize) for a beginner - Lets just say the DMs there are pretty lax, and a few of the divers on my boat had a tough time (think black eyes and deco stops) - 130 is pretty deep... Maybe go back when you have a few dives under your belt...

Personally, I'm very encouraged by the suggestions I'm seeing here. I have a trip to Bonaire (Divi Flamingo) planned for July.

Can't wait!

I dive quite a bit and went to Belize in January and Bonaire in March of this year. Without a doubt I say go to Bonaire. Terrific diving, great island and super people. We are going back again in July. Caymans is nice (going at end of may) but really best done on a liveaboard where you can dive little cayman and cayman brac. You will absolutely love Bonaire. PM me if you want more information on great restaurants and some top knotch dive operations who will make sure your first couple of times back in the water go smoothly. I am jealous and can't wait until July.....:D

Back
Top Bottom