Bonaire....I will let you decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire = shore diving. The only other real reason to go there is the Donkeys. :wink:

Food, hotels, service, price, general attitude of the dive industry IMHO all rate about 5 out of 10 and sometimes less. I have generally only ever felt tolerated and never appreciated by the dive/tourist industry in Bonaire compared to other destinations. Of course some above average exceptions exist.

The shore diving is a solid 9 out of 10.

Bonaire = shore diving. The only other real reason to go there is the Donkeys. :wink:

Food, hotels, service, price, general attitude of the dive industry IMHO all rate about 5 out of 10 and sometimes less. I have generally only ever felt tolerated and never appreciated by the dive/tourist industry in Bonaire compared to other destinations. Of course some above average exceptions exist.

Sorry you felt that way.My experiences there have been the opposite.I am called by my name by locals on the island,they remember me from my last visits..Really feel like it is a second home for us.We get invited to residents private homes for visits and dinner.As for the restaurants,I do not know where you go ,but very rarely had any issues.Many are as good or better than those in NYC.Prices are no more costly than NYC and more often less expensive.. Some hotels are very dated,but that can add to the charm of the place,and you learn where not to stay if the place is not to your comfort level..As for not feeling appreciated,I do not understand what you want. If you really want to feel unappreciated try any of the Bahama's islands or Jamaica.On a per dive basis ,it is the least expensive of all islands when you take in the total cost of your vacation on a per dive basis.

I haven't had these experiences either. I'd say that the attitude on the island reflects a bit more of a European one, where the people are often perceived as less friendly, but once they get to know you, the warmth and generosity is enormous....at least in our experience. We've always had excellent accommodations, food, good to excellent service, and prices are in line with many other places we've been (Maui for example).

It's too bad you haven't had good experiences there as well. The good thing is that there are a lot of other places you can go that will meet your needs. :)

I think you guys are reading into my post way more than what I put there. I never bashed the locals, I never said I had poor experiences, and I agree that the over all attitude is more "European" if you will, and that certainly adds it's charm to the place. Although sometimes I think people use that "European" line like an excuse because I have heard it a million times now.

Personally I return to Bonaire because I can dive when and where I want to. That's Bonaire's main attraction and to pretend otherwise is being a little silly. Sure, it has many wonderful people and some great restaurants. All cities in the world do. But that's not what brought 99.9% of tourists to Bonaire in the first place and it never will be.

My rating of a 5 out of 10 was more from the perspective of the non-diving crowd and my 5 out of 10 was pretty generous compared to some of the reviews I have read on Bonaire written by the travel industry who don't look at the island as a dive mecca but rather as a general tourist destination. Take away the diving and the non-diving crowd has a very hard time finding a reason to even consider going there and most people don't even know what or where it is and yes, that's also why I return like many of you. That's not a complaint from me either. It's why I go to Bonaire but it's also me being realistic about the place. So, in that light, a 5 out of 10 is IMHO generous.

But let me be clear. I am a hiker and a camper. I don't want five star most of the time. I like Bonaire and I will return. I have had many good experiences there but I have also experienced some of the same things the OP complained about as well over the years there and it does seem to be getting worse.

One thing I will disagree with though Oly, is the food compared to NYC. Calling Bonaire a great restaurant destination is kinda like calling NYC a great diving destination.

I have to say that without mentioning any names of the resort or the restaurants, I'm not sure what the use of this thread is...

I was going to say that myself - trying hard to figure which resort would only have three guests.

I have to say that without mentioning any names of the resort or the restaurants, I'm not sure what the use of this thread is...

I think you guys are reading into my post way more than what I put there. I never bashed the locals, I never said I had poor experiences, and I agree that the over all attitude is more "European" if you will, and that certainly adds it's charm to the place. Although sometimes I think people use that "European" line like an excuse because I have heard it a million times now.

Personally I return to Bonaire because I can dive when and where I want to. That's Bonaire's main attraction and to pretend otherwise is being a little silly. Sure, it has many wonderful people and some great restaurants. All cities in the world do. But that's not what brought 99.9% of tourists to Bonaire in the first place and it never will be.

My rating of a 5 out of 10 was more from the perspective of the non-diving crowd and my 5 out of 10 was pretty generous compared to some of the reviews I have read on Bonaire written by the travel industry who don't look at the island as a dive mecca but rather as a general tourist destination. Take away the diving and the non-diving crowd has a very hard time finding a reason to even consider going there and most people don't even know what or where it is and yes, that's also why I return like many of you. That's not a complaint from me either. It's why I go to Bonaire but it's also me being realistic about the place. So, in that light, a 5 out of 10 is IMHO generous.

But let me be clear. I am a hiker and a camper. I don't want five star most of the time. I like Bonaire and I will return. I have had many good experiences there but I have also experienced some of the same things the OP complained about as well over the years there and it does seem to be getting worse.

One thing I will disagree with though Oly, is the food compared to NYC. Calling Bonaire a great restaurant destination is kinda like calling NYC a great diving destination.

THanks for the clarifications... I don't know that I can disagree much with what you've said.

Would one of you familiar with Bonaire tell me -- Is GRI the Golden Reef Inn?

And KBeck wins the prize !!!

The purpose of the thread was nothing more than a trip report. No one needs the name of the eateries if they know the math. As for the hotel, I am still in a contest mode with Amex.

And, I dont care what hotel it was there are people that will fall on their sword for it no matter what. That is fine with me. I just will never stay there again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom