Bonaire....I will let you decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another tip is to always pay with a credit card. The restaurant or hotel will charge the bill in local currency. Let the credit card company do the conversion. They usually get the best rates.

Be sure and read the fine print on your credit card. I know of at least one that charges 15% to do the conversion. If I'm gonna get screwed out of that kind of money, I want it to at least be by a nice native girl.:wink:

Just a note, a lot of the restaurants put a tip of 15% on the bill! Look before you pay and even cell phones have calculators! Do the math! :wink:

Just a note, a lot of the restaurants put a tip of 15% on the bill! Look before you pay and even cell phones have calculators! Do the math! :wink:

correct! Since Bonaire is Dutch, in most cases they do like all the Europeans do and put the tip right in the bill. So you don't need to leave a tip on the table unless service warranted more.

Dang Rich, sorry you had so many problems. So far I have not had any problems with overcharges. I use a simple 2 to1 ratio in converting Guilders to USD, it's not accurate but plenty close to make an estimate to see if I am being charged correctly but in any case the Guilder price should never be less than the USD price.
As for the resort, that is bad to hear. I am assuming I know where you stayed.

When Herman and I were there in April 2009, we were told that visitors (ie bookings) were down 40 % at most locations.

And sadly enough, my last trip there wasn't one that makes me want to return.

I noticed a significant decline in life on the reef.

If you're new to Bonaire it will most likely prove to be a good vacation anyway, but from what I've seen it has declined.

When Herman and I were there in April 2009, we were told that visitors (ie bookings) were down 40 % at most locations.

Pretty much the same in both Jan and July when we were there. BUT the construction's still going full tilt...

Ouch! That sounds like a bad trip all around. Your lady sounds far more forgiving then I would ever be - some things are just nasty! Clean whilst I am paying? No thanks. I do wish you would name the restaurants so others are alerted to watch their tabs. I echo Brandon's sentiments, but will warn you about recourse with American Express. We recently had a situation where they did not back us on a return item that was lost in the mail by the US Postal service, despite having a receipt for the shipment. Their statement - 'well we don't know what you shipped in that box that was lost.' Great - remind me why I pay considerable dollars to carry your shiny card?

My guess, and I could be wrong, is that some of the building projects were well in the works before the world market tanked. Could be some will be abandoned and sit like the project down by Kings Beach (can't think of name)... And yes, all the construction scares me!

Hoping for a year end or spring trip. Probably to the usual - Buddy's. It has downsides, but with immediate access to great reefs, multiple bars and restaurants within walking distance, truck and breakfast the convenience is attractive.

Rich - sorry again about your trip. As we say, vote with your wallet! As a comparable, I just got back from a week in a 2 bedroom, just-off-the-beach condo in Grand Cayman with 3 friends. The condo was like the 4 Seasons - absolutely gorgeous! Paid 1/3 what a week at Buddy's would have cost, diving included, meals excluded. Even with the high cost of food in GC, still a bargain. Deals are out there in this depressed market and you don't have to look too hard to find them.

Very sorry to hear about your trip. We went in July and had a wonderful time. It was my 3rd time and we will gladly go again. Noticed a lot of construction but much of it was stalled. Saw the first stand alone KFC which was very sad.

I tend to stay in the smaller places where I can deal directly with the owner for just such reasons. Perhaps you will have better luck next time if you choose to try again. The diving is amazing!

Ed

Well, I must say I am very surprised with the messages I have been getting on this thread. I have received a huge number of PMs from people that dont want to "come out" and say their last trip to Bonaire was just that....their last trip to Bonaire. Apparently I am not the only one that has had a less than stellar vacation there and never plan to return. And I really do think it is sad, but I do have to admit, I think that will make a lot of residents on Bonaire happy. Like I said earlier, Bonaire is a tourist island that dont like tourists.....at least to me. I am sure a number of SB'ers have gone there....just like I did my first trip....and have had a ball and no problems what so ever. I am truely happy for you.

I know from the PMs and some comments here that many want names and locations. Not going to happen. If you do like I should have done and do the math yourself, no matter where you eat you will be fine. It is just a sad state of things when you have to carry a calculator around with you to keep from being ripped off.

As for the hotel, for me , that action is still up in the air. I faxed a 6 page document to Amex detailing the events and lack of events and copies of bills and pointed out the statement on the bill where it stated I was suppose to get a 25% refund. I will let them do the math there and see what happens.

I know all the things suggested to do and normally I do them at a new location, but I had been to Bonaire about 3 or so years ago and had a ball and never had a problem per say. There were a few things I wasnt wild about but nothing what so ever like this trip.

So if you have a trip planned to Bonaire, get on the plane and plan on having a good time. Do the math yourself where ever you eat and when you check in to your hotel / resort ask if everything the place you are staying at advertised is actually going to happen.

Oh, and again, just past the traffic circle just past Wanna Dive, there is a little "strip mall" with about 5 or 6 stores and one of them is a wine and liquor store. They sell many other items there too and their chips are the cheapest we could find. Anyway, go in and say hey to the young lady with the long hair and tell her the old guy who loved her maniquins said hey. And check out those maniquins......you will understand when you see them!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom