Bonaire Park Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Been to Bonaire several times and never travelled to far north (National Park) Have new divers going to Bonaire and could not give them any info on these dives.

What is the question? Did Boca Slagbai last week, friends did Boca Bartol the next day. Shore diving. IMG_2244.jpg

It's a long hot trip though the park to get up north. Dives are much like west side but seemed to have more fish and healthier soft corals and sponges when I was there last summer.
I'd suggest looking into Buddy Dive safari. They do a run up north in their big catamaran boat and do a 3 tanker with lunch.
This will get you to the park sites without the hassle.

I didn't see a huge difference between sites on the west side and the park - especially compared to sites like Nukove. If you go into the park I would bring a tire inflator that hooks up to your car or be absolutely certain where you spare is (and that it's removable), the jack and the necessary tools.

If I go back to Bonaire I wouldn't dive in the park again unless I went by boat.

It's a really long hot drive on goat paths. The long route is 'supposed' to be 2.5 hours around and the only way to reach the northern most park dive sites (Boka Bartol, Boka Katuna, Playa Benge). The short route is 'supposed' to be 1.5 hours around and you can access Playa Funchi, Bise Morto, Wayaka and Boka Slagbaii from this route. We took the short route, took 1.5 hours to get to Slagbaii, did an hour dive, then almost another hour drive out of the park. It was a long bouncy drive and day for an hour dive. No services in park, pack plenty of water and snacks. Slagbaii is probably the easiest of the park sites, nice sand entry, surface snorkel to 2 mooring balls and the reef just beyond. Vis was good, no current, reef nothing spectacular. Reef started around 45 feet to maybe 100. Usual reef fish, big cubera snapper, big parrots (stoplight). The coral formations at the top of the reef were far more interesting (large pillars and windows but not swim through) and heavily populated with a wide variety of fish. Glad I did it, would give second thought to driving though. FYI - the Dive Buddy boat is non-functioning at the moment. There is a boat advertising park diving moored along the waterfront in Kralendjick.

Too bad about the Buddy Dive boat.
I personally don't think the park sites are different enough from the west side to warrant the trek. Don't know anything about the boat moored in town or it's offering.

East side diving, on the other hand, is very different and special.

I dove one park site; I think it was Boka Slagbaii, and if so, I think the swim out was pretty long.

The park is nice if you're driving through photographing rock formations, rugged hilly & even mountainous terrain with lots, LOTS of thorny plants, large waves pounding rocky shore line, etc... And you might dive while you're up there.

One place you'll see driving through, that is not appropriate for diving, and marked as not appropriate, is Playa Chikitu. You can do a forum search if you wish; I only know 2 people who made the mistake of trying to dive it, and I was one of them. We're fine now, but I have no itch to try that again.

Richard.

I'd suggest Caral's Vision and Nukove. Kind of gives you a taste of the park without having to drive through the park.

I did the trip with Buddy Dive a few years back (think in 2011) - when I was there in 12 their boat had issues - wondering why it seems like it has been out of commission so much?

Trip was fun,, but in all honesty I didn't see much more than I would have seen on other shore dives - personally that long of a drive seems to much work with so many other great sites close by. If I was taking a boat dive, I would head to Klein, closer and cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom