Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jopheim

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I am heading to Bonaire in September for a week of scuba diving!!! I am trying to decide between Buddy's and Captain Don's. Any pro/cons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

I stayed at Buddy's twice last year and was consistently impressed with the dive op and the resort itself. Capt Don's has the reputation, but I thought the resort was looking a little tatty and in need of some TLC. However, the pizzas at Capt Don's are awesome, so I used to wander round from Buddy's on a night for a fix! They are right next door to one another, so it is literally five minutes.

If you are going to be doing a lot of shore diving from a truck, then Buddy's drive-thru fill station is great – you pull in, dump your empty tanks and pick up full ones, then you are ready to go. Easy!

Dive-wise, make sure you do Karpata (there are at least four ancient anchors on the sheer wall to find, one at 10-12m and the others way down around 55-60m) and definitely do a night dive on the Hilma Hooker wreck!

Mark

I don't think you would be dissapointed in either place but having said that I would stay at Buddy's. I was impressed with the Dive Staff as they were the friendliest all the time. The House Reef is the same and we would use Capt. Dons as the turn point were the sunken fishing boat is. As said the drive thru tank p/u and the fact that Buddy's has there own rental trucks as well as airport transfer makes this an all in one stop. Please use the truck to go to town and eat at night at the many outstanding rest. but don't pass up the main rest. at Buddy's either. Kirt runs a great place and also runs the activites center during the day.

chuckrt

Welcome to the board.

I have to agree with the rest. Nothing wrong with Capt Dons but I have seen a report or 2 about a horses rear working at the CD dive shop. The entire staff at Buddy are great both at the dive shop and the resort it's self. The air/nitrox drive through is really nice. Buddy is always my first choice for an on water resort.
If you need to save a few bucks and don't mind being off the water, Golden Reef Inn is a really nice little place. Nothing fancy and not on the water but well worth looking into. They are my off water choice and where I stay if I don't have a bigger group going with me. www.goldenreefinn.com
Others and myself have posted a lot on Bonaire on this board over the years. There is hours of reading and some really good hints, tips and general info. It would be well worth doing a word search on the board to read what otheres have said. Also, come join us on the Bonaire board, any and everything you want to know about Bonaire can be found there. www.Bonairetalk.com
And if all that fails, please feel free to PM me and I will try to help.

BONAIRE IN 10 WEEKS.....but who's counting. :)

I've stayed at Captain Don's every time except once at Sand Dollar, but it's been awhile. From everything I know right now I will probably try Buddy's next trip, FWIW. (If I can ever get a flight when I want to go, that is.)

You can be disappointed at Capt. Don's, Buddy Dive is awesome. I have stayed with Buddy Dive three times in five years and feel like it is the one to beat on Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom