Bondage Wings of Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
For the record, there are far more advantages to the design then flaws and those same flaws are present with the non-bungeed versions.
Where is this record?

They're a marketing gimmick and offer no advantages (unless you count acting as a crutch when using a wing that's far too large for the tanks you're using it with).

I have both the Dive-Rite Rec wing and a Halcyon 30lb Eclipse.

It is easier to dump the air [completely] from the Halcyon
There is reduced drag with the Halcyon, much smaller profile inflated or deflated.
I did not experience any issues with the Dive-Rite, but since I have tried the Halcyon, I am now selling the Rec wing..

They both work well, I have come to like the Eclipse better.

The bondage wing of death explanation, from what I have heard, is the "gusset control cord" will squeeze the wing if you should encounter a puncture forcing the air out. Even with the cord at the tightest setting, hold the inflator button down, all the air will not come out.. You need to squeeze the Rec wing to completely drain it.

Inflating at the surface orally, is easy.. as long as you inflate enough to keep you buoyant. If you try to fully inflate, the last couple of breaths will need some force, but it is possible..

on another note...

The rear OPV pull dump cord WILL get trapped in the gusset cord if you are not careful. Before you dive, you need to verify the OPV pull dump is clear of the gusset control cord.

Countryboy, OTOH, isn't the Rec wing much larger than the Eclipse? I think it's 45 or 50#?

EDIT: I own the Rec wing, just can't remember lift... But it does taco significantly when diving a single tank...

Tamas:
OH God! Here we go again......let the 'juice' flow and the bashing begin!!!!

For all of you 'boys-in-black' out there that will pipe up in this thread spreading lies, remember, we/I are still waiting for actual facts against the bungee design, not just myths and not "someone said, someone saw" comments.

For the record, there are far more advantages to the design then flaws and those same flaws are present with the non-bungeed versions.
For the record, so far you're the only one bashing anyone ... let's do try not to enter the conversation swinging, OK?

I would also like some elaboration about the "advantages" and "flaws" you're referring to. Having owned and dived a Rec wing rather extensively, I do believe there are disadvantages to the wing that have more to do with the "compromise" design than the gusset system, per se ... and those disadvantages are decidedly NOT present on any of my other (Halcyon, Oxycheq, and DSS) wings.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

countryboy:
on another note...

The rear OPV pull dump cord WILL get trapped in the gusset cord if you are not careful. Before you dive, you need to verify the OPV pull dump is clear of the gusset control cord.

I cut these off before the wing gets wet. They are great stoppers for reels actually.

I use a DR Trek wing for single dives (with the gusset control cord) and DR Classic wing for doubles. I don't personally see one bit of practical difference in the gusset vs. non-gusset. It is a *little* bit harder to orally inflate but not problematic.

--Matt

NWGratefulDiver:
For the record, so far you're the only one bashing anyone ... let's do try not to enter the conversation swinging, OK?

I would also like some elaboration about the "advantages" and "flaws" you're referring to. Having owned and dived a Rec wing rather extensively, I do believe there are disadvantages to the wing that have more to do with the "compromise" design than the gusset system, per se ... and those disadvantages are decidedly NOT present on any of my other (Halcyon, Oxycheq, and DSS) wings.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I did no such thing....a simply foreshadowing of things to come based on past performances by some members and moderators is surely not bashing. Perhaps you should re-read the post with a dictionary in hand if need be.

As for the bungeed vs. non-bungeed debate, there have been many and many threads and post indication the virtues of both and the alleged killer instinct of the BOWD that is still awaiting clarification - so let's revamp and turn the time back and let me ask you the same question - what are the proven, factual problems with the bungeed design that it deserves such a nasty name, or to be called a marketing gimmick. Obviously it works for the divers using them or is it perhaps that the other so opposed by them simply have no clue?!

BUT without wanting to get into the many multi page debates once again, let's leave it at the fact that the non-bungeed crowd had no real answers to the negative name bashing of the bungeed wing and until they do, I will consider all such remarks null and void since they are nothing but mere rumours at best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom