Booties for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bit late, but deff hardsole. Not just for the shores but there is cactus in many places, not the tall ones but some small bushy ones with very sharp, hard needles. Had it not been for my 5mm hendersons my diving trip would have been cut short a few days due to stepping on one of those suckers

A bit late, but deff hardsole. Not just for the shores but there is cactus in many places, not the tall ones but some small bushy ones with very sharp, hard needles. Had it not been for my 5mm hendersons my diving trip would have been cut short a few days due to stepping on one of those suckers

A few weeks ago my buddy and I each had one of those go right through our hard sole boots... within seconds of each other. The two of us must have been quite a sight... fully kitted up, hopping around on one foot yelling "MO********ER!"

So I'm here, and decided to go with what I had and buy another pair if I needed to. We've done five dives and the one that made me nervous was Hilma Hooker- not because of iron shore but because of urchins. So far so good... Not sure I want to do more shore diving after this...

So I'm here, and decided to go with what I had and buy another pair if I needed to. We've done five dives and the one that made me nervous was Hilma Hooker- not because of iron shore but because of urchins. So far so good... Not sure I want to do more shore diving after this...

I prefer to dive the Hilma Hooker as a boat dive, it's much easier IMO.

No matter what style you prefer, tough and secure footwear is essential for Bonaire's shore diving. One time when we were exiting a dive in Washington Park I fell forward and automatically put my right hand down to try and break my fall; unfortunately I put it down on an urchin - very painful!

When we got back to the dive shop I showed my hand to the manager and he earnestly advised me to "pee on it!". When I indignantly told my husband about it, his laughing comment was "lucky he didn't offer to pee on it for you!" At that point I demanded "TAKE ME TO A DOCTOR RIGHT NOW!"

The doctor used topical anesthetics and disinfectants, and tweezers and needles. There were no discussions about peeing. It was an unpleasant procedure but my hand felt much better when he was done.

I know that Bonaire doesn't allow gloves while diving, but sometimes I think they should allow heavy-duty construction gloves (or gardening gloves) for exiting because occasionally you really need to use your hands to pull yourself out. But I don't know if gloves would be much help against urchin spines - maybe a little help.

Last edited:
It's all about the entries. Typically there's a lot more urchins on the south sites - someone explained why once. However many of the north sites are more difficult to access.

An easy access dive is Windsock Beach - you just walk right in. You can also dive many of the resorts for free - almost all have dive docks. Habitat charges a small fee to use theirs but you can access both LaMachaca and Cliff farther north from the dock. And they have lockers/showers etc. Rent tanks from Bonaire Dive/Adventure to use theirs at Bari Reef - it's paid customers only. If you dive Angel City there's holes in the ironshore off the beach also. After I went down there and sliced open my shin, we dove the resorts for the next couple days mostly.

The other thing is walk around the south sites (in particular) and look for better entry points. They're not always where everyone parks either. Look for the sand channels bisecting the ironshore - those often lead out to deeper water. Typically less urchins since they can't hold on to the sand as well. Or if they're caught in the surge easier to see/avoid. The best example I can show of this is at Vista Blue - this is the entry - also a convenient "bench" to gear up. http://shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/BonaireS/Vista_Blue/c004508.jpg You can find pictures of other options here: Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands

We passed on the Hooker - I'm not a huge wreck fan and that looked like a rougher entry than many other sites we dove in the area. If you don't have it, I believe the Porter book - BDSME - Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy - illustrates the best entry points also. Some of the shops should have it for sale.

It's also worth mentioning that these bushes with 2" sharp thorns grow all over the island. Dead and dried branches with thorns are laying on the ground near many of the dive site parking areas, especially in the north. I've pulled a couple of these thorns from the hard soles of my Seasoft Sunray booties after diving up north. They would have gone right through softer soled booties... or my flip flops.

thorns1.jpg

KathyV- peeing on an urchin wound is indeed a remedy. My doctor / diver husband swears by it.
Pee has something in it that helps to neutralise the poison (or so I'm told). He was not the first person to suggest this to me either.

Have to say, I've been fine with the softer boots.

Today was easy on the feet- The Invisibles, Tori's Reef, and 1000 Steps. Saw eagle rays, a baby box fish ,and lots more macro than we expected.

Hello all.

We're off to Bonaire on Jan 15th and I've heard the entries are a bit challenging. I bought these:

Products - oneill.com

but am wondering if I made a bad choice. They fit well, which was a problem when shore diving in Bali - my boots were too big and I was sliding all over on exit and entry. Should I get something more sturdy??

Thanks.

Personally I think the Oneil booties you got will be ideal.....And they would allow much better power transfer to your fins when you are swimming--and much better finesse than you would get with the big fat soles made for sports unrelated to diving.
If you can't safely walk over an area with the Oneil boots, it's probably not going to be safe to walk over it in any boots.

Do you guys look where you step ?

Jim

bonaire 048.jpgbonaire 046.jpgbonaire 049.jpg Just returned from Bonaire, This booties have over 80 shore dives on them...Look where you step and don't drag your feet... Oh... And look at the shore and pick a good entry... Not like the guy who kitted up and just walked right in and fell on the rocks... Be careful

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom