Borrow a BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would anybody out there loan me a BC? I've been trying to help my wife decide on a BC, and one of the common bits of advice we keep hearing is to try before you buy. Only thing is nobody (at least nobody we've been able to find so far) rents any of the BCs that we're considering to buy.

So, if anybody has a Scubapro Knighthawk, Ladyhawk or Bella BC, size small, and would be willing to let us try it for one or two dives, we'd really appreciate it. We could even rent a BC for you to use and all go together if you'd like (actually, that would be best, because you could show us what you like and dislike about your BC). We're located on the north end of Whidbey Island, but are willing to travel around the sound to get this done.

If you're interested, please PM me because I'll get the message even if I forget to check back with this forum. Thanks.

Don't have any of the three, but I'd be happy to lend your wife a backplate and wing to try.

Don't have any of the three, but I'd be happy to lend your wife a backplate and wing to try.

Hello! I am the person who is interested in trying a Scuba Pro Nighthawk or Ladyhawk BC. Apparently Scuba Pro has an offer whereby if I buy one of their regulators and one of those BCs I get a computer for free. It is hard to refuse it considering that my budget for scuba gear is rather limited.

Thank you very much for your offer.

Even if your BC is not exactly what I would like to try I am still interested in having a go with that kind of set up. Recently I tried to use one like yours in Victoria, BC but the inflator hose was so short that I could not use it at all and I had to swap it with a standard jacket style BC.

So if you are still OK in lending it to me for a dive my buddy, I and you could all dive together on a location close to where you live at a time that is convenient for you and if you feel like it.

I'm okay with it, but if you were stressed by a short inflator hose, you'd have the same problem with my gear.

The fact is that, once you learn where the inflator IS, it's not an issue.

I'd be very happy to lend you gear. We also have a swimming pool at home, so if you wanted to come visit, you could play with various gear in the pool.

I'm a real newbie and probably shouldn't be giving advice -- but if your budget is very limited, I'd suggest looking on Craigslist. There is a lot of scuba gear out there, and my impression is a lot of women's BC's. I picked up most of my equipment for half or less. It's important to have it checked out, but you can save a lot of money. My plan is to use this second hand equipment (except for my reg -- I bought that new since my life depends on it!) and then gradually buy newer equipment as I get a feel for what I like.

I'm a real newbie and probably shouldn't be giving advice -- but if your budget is very limited, I'd suggest looking on Craigslist. There is a lot of scuba gear out there, and my impression is a lot of women's BC's. I picked up most of my equipment for half or less. It's important to have it checked out, but you can save a lot of money. My plan is to use this second hand equipment (except for my reg -- I bought that new since my life depends on it!) and then gradually buy newer equipment as I get a feel for what I like.

So are you saying your life does not depend on a functioning BC? So if the dump valves in your BC wouldn't hold you'd be ok at the surface for a prolonged period of time? Or, would you have enough sense to remove the LP inflator hose if the infalator button were to stick and head you to the surface? Just a thought.
Now I'm not saying that a used BC will do that, but any peice of gear needs to be maintained, and if done properly, should last for years.
Joe

I'm okay with it, but if you were stressed by a short inflator hose, you'd have the same problem with my gear.

The fact is that, once you learn where the inflator IS, it's not an issue.

I'd be very happy to lend you gear. We also have a swimming pool at home, so if you wanted to come visit, you could play with various gear in the pool.

TS&M:
Wow, that's a great offer, and we're talking about it right now. You are someone I've been curious about for a while. For one thing, you're all over this board (how do you find time to dive?), for another, I've thought that your posts are well written and I really appreciate your interest not only in the technical side of diving, but your take on the educational and mentoring side of it. Not only that, but you live almost in our neck of the woods, so obviously the idea of meeting you in person and diving together is probably not all that crazy after all.

Having said all that great stuff, I disagree with your comment about the short inflator hose. I had to replace the one on my DSS Torus wing with a longer one from Dive Rite, not because I couldn't find it, but because the buttons never fell under my fingers, and I always had to jank it around every time I wanted to use it. I didn't have to replace the actual inflator hose, just the corrugated hose. It's only a few inches longer, but it made a huge difference. I'm much happier now, so I couldn't let your comments go without a response. I saw Betty struggling with Erin's rig in Victoria, and for her too, it wasn't that she didn't know where the inflator WAS (!), it was that, even with the inflator in her hand, the buttons weren't in a position where she could operate them, and she had to hold her arm uncomfortably up and back.

So the idea of being able to try the kind of BC she wants before we buy it may not pan out, but if you're interested in helping a couple of newbies along, we'd definitely like to pursue that.

So are you saying your life does not depend on a functioning BC? So if the dump valves in your BC wouldn't hold you'd be ok at the surface for a prolonged period of time? Or, would you have enough sense to remove the LP inflator hose if the infalator button were to stick and head you to the surface? Just a thought.
Now I'm not saying that a used BC will do that, but any peice of gear needs to be maintained, and if done properly, should last for years.
Joe

All I can say is, "Huh?"

Well, you guys are right up near two of my favorite dives -- Skyline Wall and Keystone. It shouldn't be too hard to entice me into coming up to Whidbey! On the other hand, you'd be welcome to come down and play with gear in the pool, as I said before.

And as far as posting and having time to dive, I type fast (and do very little housework :D)

Gone Diving, a shop in Bellingham, is leading a dive on September 20 at Keystone. They have a Bella and a Lady Hawk in their rental fleet. They also have the Knighthawk but I'm not sure they have them in size small. Give Charlynn a call, she could probably bring them down. My wife and I are diving that day and at the very least you could try out my wife's Bella. Go to Bellingham Diving Scuba Gone Diving Club Diving PADI San Juan Islands Diving Learning Classes Advanced Dry Suit Nitrox Enriched Air Washington for Charlynn's number.

Well, you guys are right up near two of my favorite dives -- Skyline Wall and Keystone. It shouldn't be too hard to entice me into coming up to Whidbey! On the other hand, you'd be welcome to come down and play with gear in the pool, as I said before.

And as far as posting and having time to dive, I type fast (and do very little housework :D)

Oh! Kay! Keystone it is!

Back
Top Bottom