Borrow a BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do take her up on the chance to try a BP/W. After trying on a lot of BC's and using my borrowed BC for 15 dives (I did spend some time thinking about how I would handle a BC failure, but I won't go into that here), I ended up with a DiveRite Transpac and love it. You really have to try different options.
Just got back from six dives in Tahiti -- I'll post that in the forum on the Paul Gauguin cruise ship in a day or two when I get back down to earth.

Well I am finally settling down with a DSS BP/W. The wing doesn't have a knob and a pull dump and the hose may be too short:shakehead:

That's what happens when somebody else order the gear for you while you are not looking... :wink:

You won't regret it . . . Get it really and truly adjusted for YOU, and you'll be a happy camper. And I'll enjoy looking at the beautiful orange embroidery, when we come up and do Keystone with you guys :)

Well I am finally settling down with a DSS BP/W. The wing doesn't have a knob and a pull dump and the hose may be too short:shakehead:

Great choice! And kudos to TSandM for the offering of a BP/W setup to try.. (I've been watching thread from Florida since I occasionally get out to WA but have not been diving there yet)

Try the short inflator hose for a while - it took a bit for me to adjust also.. The shoulder straps of the harness can seem rough or hard at first - resist the initial urge to add padding to them. Once in the water any discomfort will dissappear. (Most folks that try my BP/W comment on the shoulder part of the harness since they are used to the "soft & cushy" straps on a traditional BC)

Have fun with the new gear,

Brent

Last edited:
Another option is to try a Deep Outdoors wing ... they make a really nice 34-lb singles wing that comes with a longer inflator hose. I've owned and used Deep Outdoors products, and can recommend their quality.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another option is to try a Deep Outdoors wing ... they make a really nice 34-lb singles wing that comes with a longer inflator hose. I've owned and used Deep Outdoors products, and can recommend their quality.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob,

I think it may be too late for that, I keep receiving packages from UPS! I have no idea what kind of wing is hiding inside one of these boxes! With all those different models and counter-models I got totally lost...and I let my buddy to pick up the stuff (so if it doesn't fit I know whom to blame!:D)

I am not sure whether I will add a quick release buckle on one of the straps or not. TSandM told me that I will get used to get in and out of the harness without it, apparently there is not even room for one...Ummm. I will have to try it without it several times and see. Perhaps my suit is less bulky than my buddy's. He really struggled to get it off both above and under the water and he ended up adding one to his harness.

Cheers

If it's properly adjusted, getting into and out of a one-piece harness is simple. Depending on the person, it takes anywhere from one to a few dives to get used to the technique, and after that you'll never give it another thought.

Whatever wing you chose, give it a few dives before deciding you want to change anything. Often it's a simple matter of giving your body a chance to figure out where everything is ... and once you get used to it, you'll decide you really wouldn't like it any other way.

Every conceivable configuration has advantages and drawbacks. At a recreational level, the one that is right for you usually boils down to personal preferences.

Best of luck with the new gear ... I'm sure you'll end up loving it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You won't regret it . . . Get it really and truly adjusted for YOU, and you'll be a happy camper. And I'll enjoy looking at the beautiful orange embroidery, when we come up and do Keystone with you guys :)

We will probably end up diving at Langley marina (the safest diving site on Whidbey, I believe) several times to try the gear out before taking it to Keystone. Perfect timing considering the lousy weather forecast for this and next week!

I hope that by the time you folks make it up here we haven't turned into frogs and being captured by the Frog-Man!
(Have you ever seen the movie 'Delicatessen'?)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom