Boston-area dive endo recommendations...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobster75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Lately my girlfriend has been asking about trying scuba diving because she sees how much I enjoy it and would like to try it because she thought snorkeling back in January in Mexico during our cruise was really cool.. Problem is she is an insulin-dependent diabetic and obviously this is a serious condition that requires consultation with an endocrinologist who is knowledgeable about scuba diving-related issues...

Does anyone have any recommedations for a dive-savvy endocrinologist in the Boston area (pref in the Newton area) who could discuss the issues with my girlfriend and look at her medical history?

She moved down to this area last Sept. and while she's been OK with her existing endo, the doctor is really annoying her because she doesn't respond to e-mails or phone calls about routine questions and this is kind of appalling considering how serious diabetes is.

Knowing how drained I get from scuba diving on a multi-dive day, I pretty much figured scuba diving is an automatic NO for her, but I've seen some research about diving while diabetic and it is possible if the condition is very well managed and monitored every step of the way.

As far as satisfying her curiousity and keeping her safe, I would just like to see her get a doctor's signoff on a Discover Scuba in a pool which I feel is a pretty controlled environment and would be pretty simple to monitor her (myself) for signs of low blood sugar for a simple 40 minute session with a couple instructors and of course myself.

I know how serious her condition can be and if she decided to get fully OW certified and got an endo's signoff on it, I would only allow myself to be her dive buddy as well as I'm planning on getting Rescue certified next Spring after diving whenever I can this summer/fall/(winter?! drysuit?!).. But anyways... At this point I'm just looking for other local divers who might have experience w/ dive-savvy endocrinologists who can give her a real heads-up on this crazy sport I've managed to get hooked on.

It would be great for both of you if you can get her diving! Good luck! I would contact DAN. They are very friendly and can maybe help you with specifics even if you aren't a member. This is the non-emergency medical question number. 1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm (ET) and www.diversalertnetwork.org.

I looked into this a bit some years ago when I had a gfriend with diabetes. The real danger would be a low blood sugar hit of course while diving. As you probably know it can come on quick. I was thinking it would be critical for her to be able to chomp some candy while underwater just in case. If I were her, and assuming the docs gave the OK, I would practice getting some candy into my mouth while underwater just in case. It would be smart to make the dives relatively short and shallow of course.

--Matt

You didn't mention how long she has been diabetic? She has to feel confident about her control and how to control medication amounts before a dive. There is a diabetic dive instructor in the Virgin Islands that works with certifying diabetic divers. That would be the best and you could get some great diving in while you waited. If she wants to email me I can talk with her. I've been diving for 36 years and a diabetic for 45 years so I have some experience in this area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom