Bottom Timer which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im trying to find a good bottom timer and i hear alot about Uwatec, but, they are hard to come by and apparently they dont make them anymore? anyways what is another brand that most use and were can i find one, thanks.

Just wanted to also note that most computers can be put in "gauge mode", which essentially turns it into a bottom timer. If you already have a computer (that can be wrist mounted), you may not need to also get a bottom timer, esp. starting out as you are.

EDIT - for example, this a popular choice:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...atec&ProductID=UTCAT2GW&Sort=Stock&DescSort=0
One thing that I like about it is that it can be used a a bottom timer, but you can still download your dives onto a PC, which I like to do. Plus, DeepSeaSupply makes great, inexpensive wrist mounts for these.
Good luck.

Hey black1:

Check this out. I would contact the seller to make sure it's imperial rather than metric but it looks like a good deal.

Good luck,
Thomas

Im trying to find a good bottom timer and i hear alot about Uwatec, but, they are hard to come by and apparently they dont make them anymore?
The Uwatec BT was redesigned about a year ago, and has been given a new model number (330m). Any Scubapro dealer should be able to get one for you. The BT is about all I ever use these days for my diving - have not used a dive computer in probably 6-8 years.

Yeah they re-branded it to 330m, then re-priced it to match the name.

As mentioned above, Uwatec does still make their bottom timer....it's just the newer (330m) model. I recently was in the market for a new bottom timer or computer to run in gauge mode. I came across a good deal on a Uwatec BT, but I waited a few hours too long and someone bought it before I PM'ed the seller. I found an Aladin Tec2G on ebay for a good price and picked that up....I run it in gauge mode and I really like it. It tells you average depth and has a (resettable) stopwatch function that is really nice.

Look into a computer that will run in gauge mode. I like my Tec2G, but I know there are other good options as well.

Im trying to find a good bottom timer and i hear alot about Uwatec, but, they are hard to come by and apparently they dont make them anymore? anyways what is another brand that most use and were can i find one, thanks.

The new UWATEC 330m is $111 at diveinn. Of course if you get a bottom timer you will have to think about your dive -- as if that is a bad thing! Certainly the 330m is cheap enough to use as a backup for an other computer.

Uwatec Digital Depth Gauge 330M Capsule. Instruments Loose instruments, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba

If you want to go in a more transitional mode consider a Tec 2G for ~$350. The Tec 2G can be converted to a bottom timer when you are ready.

If you want to go in a more transitional mode consider a Tec 2G for ~$350. The Tec 2G can be converted to a bottom timer when you are ready.
Tec 2G is for sure fine piece of equipment. But I don't understand "transitional mode". If you're in planned deco business then you already know what you're doing; if you're in rec world then deco is quite simple. I can't imagine planned deco using computer which I guess is referred as "transitional mode". BT is sufficient for any diving. If you want to be able to download dives to PC :) then go for some computer in gauge mode that has download option.

I think the idea of "transitional mode" is when the diver is not yet practiced and confident enough to run his own average depth and NDLs, and still wants the backup of a computer in computer mode -- but will eventually convert that computer to gauge mode when he is fully comfortable with running data for himself. Some computers don't have a gauge mode, so once you don't want the NDL info, they range between suboptimal and annoying. Going straight to a Uwatec bottom timer is too big a step for some of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom