Bottom Timer which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new UWATEC 330m is $111 at diveinn. Of course if you get a bottom timer you will have to think about your dive -- as if that is a bad thing! Certainly the 330m is cheap enough to use as a backup for an other computer.
Unfortunately, the Uwatec 330m BT is metric-only from Spain. To get the Imperial version, you have to buy it in the US of A (and pay MAP for your trouble). A bit of clever planning on the part of our friends at Johnson Outdoors.

If you are going to pay retail for the 330m, the Tec 2G from LP begins to look more attractive at $325. If only from a possible resale perspective...

Tec 2G is for sure fine piece of equipment. But I don't understand "transitional mode".
Monk, the OP has <25 dives.

I also recommend you to stick to Uwatec Botton Timer, I have a Suunto Mosquito in Gauge mode for back up, which is ok but as primary Uwatec gives you better visibility of all the data you need.

I also recommend you to stick to Uwatec Botton Timer, I have a Suunto Mosquito in Gauge mode for back up, which is ok but as primary Uwatec gives you better visibility of all the data you need.

Yes, I agree. I forgot to mention that the Uwatec has incredible visibility both underwater and on top. The Tec 2G is pretty fair underwater - especially above the water when you're trying to retrieve data (in gauge mode, Avg Depth, Max Depth, BT, etc.). I actually use both at the same time: I like the viz of the Uwatec and the resettable timer/Avg depth function of the Tec 2G.

Cheers

... I have a Suunto Mosquito in Gauge mode for back up ...
AFAIR Mosquito does not have Gauge mode, it has Free Dive mode which goes to Error after few minutes although it continues to show depth and time.

I actually use both at the same time: I like the viz of the Uwatec and the resettable timer/Avg depth function of the Tec 2G.
I see unnecesarry redundance here :) If you use timer on Tec 2G then you're able to see the numbers which means you're able to use it for depth/time measuring which IMO means you don't need additional BT. BTW where do you wear it?

I see unnecesarry redundance here :) If you use timer on Tec 2G then you're able to see the numbers which means you're able to use it for depth/time measuring which IMO means you don't need additional BT. BTW where do you wear it?

I see your point and am not going to attempt to rationalize wearing both. Simply put - I just like the Uwatec and need the timer on the Tec2G 0 so I wear both :wink:. I've tried using a Casio, etc. to time decos but the buttons are a pain to use. So I guess you can say that the Tec2G is really just an expensive timer! I wear both on my right forearm w/ Deepseasupply bungie boots.

Later

I think the idea of "transitional mode" is when the diver is not yet practiced and confident enough to run his own average depth and NDLs, and still wants the backup of a computer in computer mode -- but will eventually convert that computer to gauge mode when he is fully comfortable with running data for himself. Some computers don't have a gauge mode, so once you don't want the NDL info, they range between suboptimal and annoying. Going straight to a Uwatec bottom timer is too big a step for some of us.

If the depth averaging is too scary... Instead of running a computer, you can always just use the gauge plus max depth - ala old skool tables. Introduce the depth averaging slowly, maybe only subtract 10ft from your max depth even though you "know" your average is probably less but lack the confidence to use it.

Btw I did my biggest multileveled deco dive ever a couple weeks ago. 25/25 + O2 for deco on Long Island Wall in the San Juans. I have been way deeper but never depth averaging over 80ft of profile. Our max was 132ft. At runtime min 71, I called an average of 90ft at our 50ft stop. We did 3,5,10(O2),5(O2) up from there. Neither Jeanna nor I have downloadable gauges but afterwards calculated my average depth from my total consumed backgas (126cf) and known coldwater consumption rate (0.5cf/min) and came up with 85ft. Which makes sense that it got dragged upwards a bit from the 3mins at 40 and 5 at 30ft. This stuff really does work.

Not nearly as expensive as the X1: $1750 (plus software)! :shocked:

They now have an oLED BT:
Liquivision : Scuba : Xen

xen.jpg

Only ~ $500

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom