Bought DSS, now configure DSS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a look now at finding a safety pack like the one in this thread so that I can attach it to the backplate

This is the closest I could find
Akona Safety Tube Hi-Viz Yellow

If I can get a safety sausage I can attach to the backplate I can give my girlfriend that other one to put in her BC or maybe give it back to the shop since it hasn't been opened yet

Gadget. Believe me. Keep it clean. If the smb is bigger than can fit in a pocket, mount it with bungee or a DR pocket under your plate. And, slow down. :)

One note on the safety tube you linked to. (Note: You may already know this, and it may fit into your plans perfectly; if so, never mind!)

That sort of tube is designed to be used on the surface, but not to be deployed from depth (there is no OPV). If you envision that you might someday want to send up an SMB from depth, then you might want to just start with a different one (or at least know that there are the two different types). An SMB with an OPV can also be used on the surface. It'll be roughly the same shape. There are different lengths/widths depending on where you will be diving (offshore/large waves; inshore/calm, etc.).

Cool will do some research about that. I am an information sponge :) Here in Queensland/Brisbane/Australia it is law to dive with a safety sausage, dive knife and whistle. Not sure if you guys saw the movie of the two divers that where left in the water and died. I was told that was here and that is why the law was created. I just bought what ever the shop had for a safety sausage

I had to buy a ss also when i was in cairns on holiday diving, was the one i posted previous page with sausage and whistle attached.
cost me $25

Nitro91: Just to clarify from my previous post - you/OP may not need a deployable-from-depth SMB and a surface/safety sausage may be just fine. I was just mentioning it in case the OP didn't realize there was a difference (and since the DSMB can also serve as a "surface sausage" if desired). A DSMB will cost a bit more though, and may not be in your needs/plans.

Last edited:
Yeh I may buy a dsmb with a reel in the near future for diving off my friends boat etc.

Back
Top Bottom