Bought my first wetsuit..was it a good choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juggernutt

Reaction score
I just bought my first wetsuit...I am a strictly warm(tropical) water diver.
I bought a old model BARE aqualite 3mm fullsuit for €90,- about U$100,-

Normally I only dive in a Tshirt and swimming trunks. But this trip to Bali I was thinking of doing the AOWC and was planning to dive 6/7 times in 3 days.

I have a couple of questions about this buy:
I have some doubts about the buy and hopefully the Boardmembers can help me out. Did I made a good choice?

1)The fit seems surprisingly good to me.Tight fit, but still able to bend over etc.But the arms is to long, and under the armpits and the chest is some room.
Can I say that this is a good fit?
I expressed concern about longer arms, but they say it's ok for diving in the tropics.

2)I had the choice between a shorty(by the brand sharkskin) a combo of thin neoprene and nylon) and this fullsuit.
I always dive in the tropics..did I make the good choice? I like the extra protection the fullsuit provides against abrasions ets, but is a 3mm fullsuit not to hot for the tropics?
Should I have chosen the shorty instead?

Hopefully you can help me out,

A wetsuit in 3mm for warm water is much more forgiving than a thicker one for cold water where fit, material, thermal protection etc is much more important, if it's comfy, esp in the water, and you got a bargain on the price you're set zeN||

I will be diving in the tropics..so the water and above it would be like 85+ degrees.
I'll be diving in BAli and it's REALLY REALLY hot there.

So far I am having second thoughts about the fullsuit.

1) Won't it be TOO hot for me? even in the water?

2)Second after reading other threads I am concerned about the buoyancy factor. I never dove in a fullsuit before, normally just in swimmingtrunks and tshirt.
What are the effects? is having to many buoyancy bad thing?

I finally found the deal I wanted on the suit I wanted. Despite everyone telling me to go to the drysuit, I opted for the economical, convenient route and purchased a 6.5mm farmer john by Akona. $144 (new) on eBay. Can't beat it. It's a great suit -- very well made -- and it's plenty warm and the ideal thickness for 99% of the diving I do. Plus, I don't have to take a course to use it! Fits perfectly -- not too tight, and no loose areas. I used the jacket as a long-sleeve shorty on a shallow lake dive last week.

As a side note, I was in the LDS at one of my favorite diving locales last week, and found the exact same suit -- for $389. Gulp. Glad I did my homework.

Bottom line: Fit.

Will it be to hot in the water...no.... will it be to hot in the dive boat...oh yes, definatly.

I bought one for tropical just for a little more skin protection.

As far as buoyancy..... an extra 6 to 9 lbs is called for at the surface in fresh and a couple pounds more in salt.

But the best benifit I got out of mine when I got it was..... the first time I put it on, my wife thought I looked sexy:D

Hmm..that's not what they said to me when I showed it ...:D

I said earlier that under armpits there was some extra room...it turned out NOT because it was too roomy. But that my upperarms are actually to large..and the suit can't close to my boy..resulting in open space under the armpit.

Should this be a problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom