bp/w for 12 year old new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krafcheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
trying to decide between traditional bc or bp/w for my daughter well assuming she does not make cheerleading squad then that money will go towards that. she is taking the course now and checkout dives are first weekend of march and tryouts for cheerleading is the weekend before. so until then anyone have any bad exerience with bp/w for new young diver? she has never seen a bp/w setup for singles and she has used the seaquest perl bc in the pool.

thanks

We have put a couple of teenaged students into backplates for their OW classes with no issues. If your daughter is small-framed, you might want to purchase a setup that offers a size small backplate, like Deep Sea Supply.

I had exactly the same dilemma with my 10 year old. In the end I went from traditional BCD on the basis of cost, although I would have preferred to put him in a BP/W. Sinking nearly $500 into one bit of gear not knowing if he was going to keep it up was just a little too rich for my blood.

The other issue with smaller divers using plates is the height of the top of the plate when mounted on the tank is not high enough to allow the reg not to hit the back of the head.

I have been teaching middle school kids for 10 years using BP&W's and the best plate for the sub 5' diver is the Deep Sea Supply because their mounting system allows the plate to be mounted higher on the tank.
2nd best is the Dive Rite plate with the shoulder straps crossed.

I've never needed to get anything smaller than a DSS Medium plate.
If they're over 5' 4" anything fits.
.....don't go overboard on wing size. I usually use the 17lb DSS (when the welds don't leak..sorry Tobin, just had to get that one in) or 18lb Oxycheq.

Last edited:
Get a small Backplate/Wing combo it will be great. There was another memeber on another board who did this. Also people that Own the LDS I use have there Kids in one (Halcyon) and looks great.

Here is the Link to the thread where the pics came from as well as some info on the unit.

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42316

indyharness1.jpg

indyharness2.jpg

I would think it'd be much easier to find a BP/W that will grow with her and save money in the long run than buying a jacket that she will most likely outgrow. Most of the kids BCs I've seen are at least 300 and you can find some BP/W configs that are close to that for certain.

Hell, get the Express Tech and you're even cheaper and have a nice hybrid style thing that will work really well.

Get a small Backplate/Wing combo it will be great. There was another memeber on another board who did this. Also people that Own the LDS I use have there Kids in one (Halcyon) and looks great.

Here is the Link to the thread where the pics came from as well as some info on the unit.

The Deco Stop

indyharness1.jpg

indyharness2.jpg

I remember falling in love with that set-up the second I saw it on decostop (thanks for posting, a22shady...as soon as I saw the title of this thread, I was about to go hunting for it myself!). One simply can't go wrong...let out the webbing as the young diver grows taller and broader (heck, replace it for a few dollars, if it ever comes to that...just hang onto the D-rings and keepers), and maybe get a longer plate if the diver grows significantly taller. (As a 37-year old woman, though, I'm fine with a DSS small plate, but only because I'm quite short.) The wing can be used for as long as it holds out: in fact, I use the same one that's in the picture for recreational diving, and I like it very much. There are a few other firms that make small wings, so you have the luxury of choice there.

Only thing you'll have to worry about are buying bigger pairs of bootees and fins, but hey, you can't win 'em all!

I put my petite 12 y.o. daughter in a DSS small plate and torus 17. She did the certs in a jacket, and did a couple of trips to Bon in rental stuff, and it just never fit her properly.

She said it was like going from an overcoat to a bikini when we got her new stuff. She loves it.

She's now a 19 yo young lady, with all the associated womanly attributes. We've adjusted the harness a bit over the years, but she's diving the same gear.

She has an interest in cave training. When she's ready she can get her(self) a new wing, appropriate some of my stuff and she's in business.

Call Tobin at DSS. He'll hook you up with some of the finest gear going at a good price, and only with what you need.

Back
Top Bottom