BP/W for new cold water diver - worth waiting for DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was certified a couple months ago and have been diving as much as possible in Monterey since then. I've been using an older jacket-style BCD that a friend gave me. It's in good shape and it works, but it's a bit big for me, no integrated weights, and my trim is definitely skewed to a head up/feet down position using the jacket BCD and 20 lbs of weight on my waist.

After extensive research and talking to more experienced local divers, I'm convinced that I want to get a BP/W with stainless steel plate for local cold-water diving.

I've also concluded from my research that Deep Sea Supply is the overwhelming favorite for this item (with some dissenting opinions).

So my question is: how much better is DSS than my next-best option - is it worth waiting 6+ months for, diving with the jacket BCD in the interim, or should I just go with a different brand?

Ok, clearly I said something dumb. Anyone want to enlighten me in a more helpful way than this? I have a thick skin so bring it on.

Ok, clearly I said something dumb. Anyone want to enlighten me in a more helpful way than this? I have a thick skin so bring it on.

Nothing about you....there is a recent thread where lots of opinions about DSS and its owner were expressed, along with some speculation on whether they will regain viability in the market. See the link in Dogbowl's post above.

-Z

Last edited:
Nothing about you....there is a recent thread where lots of opinions about DSS an its owner were expressed, along with some speculation on whether they will regain viability in the market. See the link in Dogbowl's post above.
-Z

Yes, I saw that thread. Skimmed through the first couple pages, though I didn't read all 236 messages. Seemed like the posts were pretty balanced between complaints about the owner's customer service skills & people defending DSS as a great company. I don't really want to wade into that since I have no basis for an opinion. My question was based on reading years & years of threads about BP/W options where DSS was the near-consensus top pick.

Sounds like I should investigate other options, though.

Yes, I saw that thread. Skimmed through the first couple pages, though I didn't read all 236 messages. Seemed like the posts were pretty balanced between complaints about the owner's customer service skills & people defending DSS as a great company. I don't really want to wade into that since I have no basis for an opinion. My question was based on reading years & years of threads about BP/W options where DSS was the near-consensus top pick.

That would be a prudent move. You should also read the owner’s posts as they’re eye opening.

It is unknown when DSS will reopen as the owner is moving his household and business which includes both manufacturing and retail operations from California to Nevada. Buried among the posts was some speculative comments about whether DSS will reopen again or not with owner himself insinuating that he does not need the business for financial stability along with comments that elude to even he is not sure that he will reopen for business once the move is complete.

That being said, I personally wish Tobin (the owner) well on this journey and hope he does reopen as he makes some interesting products, but since you asked, I would not recommend waiting to see if he will reopen his doors as there are other great products on the market. I have a Dive Rite SS back plate and voyager xt wing and am thoroughly happy with it. Dive Gear Express markets their own line that seems based on the Dive Rite design and they offer it at a decent price. I recently saw an advert in my email about a package from DRIS (Mirage 23/38lb BP/W Package).

There are lots of good options out there, but If there is something specific about DSS products that interest you, then use what you have until Tobin re-opens and makes his products available again.

Cheers,
-Z

If you've been searching SB, you may have found or could find threads about harnesses / backplates / wings (and other gear) from Deep6, HOG/Edge, and Vintage Double Hose; all with long-term and faithful SB fan bases, and lots of fans of BP/W gear from some of the larger manufacturers sold mostly through LDS and the major SCUBA online vendors. I switched to BP/W about 18 months ago; started with HOG/Edge gear; now also have wings from Dive rite, and a second BP/W from Vintage Double Hose. Happy with all of it. When I put together backmounted doubles about four months ago I would have shopped for a doubles wing from DSS I think, but just before I was ready to order I saw a thread about the move.

Apparantly there are still some available out there. In another recent thread the op bought both a small and a medium then paired it with a VDH 35 wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom