BP/W for new cold water diver - worth waiting for DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As noted DSS is in the middle of a move. Some are making a lot of noise about that.

Vintage Double Hose has often been mentioned as a good option. At a different level, plates and wings are rather robust and reasonably simple. There are many decent options, I think I would get one that works for you now. My own experience is with Halcyon and OxyCheq plates and OxyCheq Mk V wing which I like.

So my question is: how much better is DSS than my next-best option -

Maybe, say, oh, I don't know, COULD IT POSSIBLY BE LIKE,.....................ZERO?!!?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zef
@anchochile

Short answer is no. Just go buy yourself a setup from any reputable company and go diving. Can't go wrong with a setup from vintagedoublehose.com

Long answer is maybe...

It's 100% up to you. If you are super duper tall or super short it could be a good idea to find the right size dss plate.

I bought a used DSS rig because I liked the fact that they were made by some grumpy dude in Pasadena, CA and there are some features I like. The ability to remove the wing without thinking, the rubber molded into the plate in the webbing slots, the central inflator hose, the rubber cam bands tensioners, the stiffer webbing, bolt on plate options and the multiple plate sizes. Among other things.

Don't worry about Tobin. Just make sure you are getting what you need and getting it in time for your next dive. Enjoy!

maybe,say, oh, I don't know, COULD IT BE,.....................ZERO?
eE6okxre_400x400.jpg

there were a few criteria that had me go to a DSS:

1. L & XL plates. Being 6'-7", the L (singles) and XLong (doubles) were what I wanted for the fit I wanted. Nobody else makes these lengths in production.

2. Weight Plates. Diving a dry suit and single tank for me needs the plates as I loathe weight on my waist. His system is really nice.

3. GHA - I have two surgically repaired shoulders, so I needed something to give me some room in and out of the harness. There are other options, but coupled with #1 & #2 above, it just made me chose it.

It these are on your conditions, I'd see if there are any available through his retailers. As to wings, it really hasn't been a necessity to have DSS (though I have one or two LCD 30's, wife uses one as her main wing). I dive a HOGs, OxyCheq MachV, and Argonaut Dive wings on his plates, and my daughter dives a Deep6 wing on his plate.

YMMV

If there is something about the DSS plates that you find particularly appealing for your use, Northeast Scuba Supply has a good selection of SS & Kydex in stock a week ago: BC/Backplates/Wings - Backplate and Wings - Backplates - Page 1 - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

DSS bladders can only be repaired/replaced by DSS as the wings are stitched closed. My next wing, when I pass my current HOG to my son, will likely be a Vintage Double Hose. From what I've distilled from my readings, the best combination of value/streamlining/construction currently on the market for singles wings.

Just get a Diverite or Deep6 or some brand that has a quality product, good customer service and the attitude to stay in business for a long while (DSS doesn't have any of these qualities or features at all).

I dove with a friend who had one today. Its a very nice wing. Well built.
Other good ones are also out there so really its a choice between waiting or not? Only you can make that decision.

If there is something about the DSS plates that you find particularly appealing for your use, Northeast Scuba Supply has a good selection of SS & Kydex in stock a week ago: BC/Backplates/Wings - Backplate and Wings - Backplates - Page 1 - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

DSS bladders can only be repaired/replaced by DSS as the wings are stitched closed. My next wing, when I pass my current HOG to my son, will likely be a Vintage Double Hose. From what I've distilled from my readings, the best combination of value/streamlining/construction currently on the market for singles wings.

Is Northeast Scuba Supply still in business? I emailed them twice after a recommendation to purchase a product from them and never received a response.

-Z

Not worth waiting for, the Freedom Contour is worth waiting for but in the interim get a complete rig from VDH, you’ll learn how to set everything up and how to use it while you wait.

As Bob pointed out the best things about DSS plates is the size options for non-standard size people and weight plates. I don’t like the center hose for the inflator on the wing and got rid of it pretty quickly.

Order the VDH and start diving, $300 is a crazy good price for a complete rig and you can have it in a few days.

If you want to try a DSS I should be in Monterey next Friday or maybe Sunday, I have a long plate so you should be over 6’ to make use of it, I’m 6’5” but easy to adjust it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom