BP/W for Newly Certified OW Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also a novice diver and, after researching, I went the BP/W route. The only thing that was going against the decision was cost. As a result, once I decided what I wanted (30# Oxycheq wing) I started looking at used along with the discount houses. I found a used one posted here on Scubaboard that was less than a year old at a fair price; added a used backplate / harness and STA and I was in business. The hardest part for me was getting the used harness loosened up so I could re-adjust it, it was older and the webbing was pretty well locked in place. After working on it for quite awhile I got it freed up and was able to re-adjust it, but if I had it to do all over again I would buy a new Hog harness kit rather than the used harness. It has to be faster than what I went through in getting the older harness readjusted.

I went to a BP/W after 6 dives ... my 4 OW training dives and 2 dives in Grand Cayman (the reason for my initial training). At the time I did not have any local mentors. Instead I read ALOT and asked a ton of questions on SB. I was able to work my way through it and am very glad that my first bcd purchase was a BP/W.

My story is similar. 9 dives after my OW and after spending hours on SB, reading and asking questions, I dove 4 times with 2 different BP/Ws. Having my UTD instructor there to assist me with fitting the BP/W and adjusting weights made things easier, and helped me decide that a BP/W is the right rig for me. Get someone to help you with adjusting the harness and weights and you will be fine!

I teach OW classes using BP/W. Students get used to wearing them just as quick as they would do with a jacket BCD. They always feel unfamiliar with any kit until they have done a fair few dives in it.

Why spend (waste) the time getting familiar with a jacket BCD, when your intention is to get a BP/W?

As a new diver, you are going to feel uncomfortable and unfamilar with your kit... why not just go through that process with a BP/W and save the need to re-adjust your familiarization later?

That was one of my concerns about it.....trying to dial in a BP/W while getting comfy under the water.

If a jacket style BC isn't to your liking (d-ring locations, etc.) you're SOL. It is what it is. But if your first attempt setting up a backplate is not completely successful, your second or third probably will be.

There isn't much to adjust: length of shoulder, waist (location of buckle) and crotch straps, all of which you can probably get correct before even getting in the water, and the location of d-rings, which may take one or two dives. But that's it. It's really simple.

A B/P is more difficult to configure? Please, tell that to one of my students who (my advice to the contrary) was sold a "hybrid" BC that has more adjustments than Carter Has Pills! I couldn't figure out what to adjust so I had her go back to the shop where the owner spent almost an hour pulling this apart, adjusting that, moving this up and that down. I couldn't believe it!

Yes, a B/P can take a little more time to adjust than a simple (and probably ill-fitting) BC, but at least you can ALWAYS get the B/P to fit!

You can go HOG harness or you can get the Dive Rite Transplate harness with the quick adjustable shoulder harness and save the hassle of doing minute harness adjustments. I want the backplate to give me stability and weight, but I don't want to have to chicken wing my arms into any sort of contortionist's stance to get into the BPW.

Wow! Thanks for all of the great advice! I'm just about convinced to go the BP/W route, now just gotta nail down the types/brands etc. Cost isn't the biggest factor for me but it is a concern as it most likely is with just about everyone. If I can get a good solid starter rig for 500-600 bucks that would be optimal.

Onto my next question.....what type of concerns should a 6'2" 260lb guy have with respect to fit and function of a BP/W? To relieve any "obese" diver concerns, my doc has told me that I should lose the mid 30's age "spare tire" but he has little concern on my weight on my overall health....I'm just a big guy, I've swam a mile in the open ocean as recently as a month ago.

Regarding your body, I would say, just be sure get a proper sized backplate (tall enough). On the brand, you can confidently go with Deep Sea Supply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom