BP/W ok for carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just put together a hog 32# and freedom plate, would this setup be easy to take as carry on? Any bag recommendations? I take off each winter and this past winter while backpacking SE Asia i took 26 flights. Therefore id prefer to take my expensive gear carry one and my clothes and crap as checked bag.

When we vacation, I take my BP/W and regs as carry on all the time.
I remove the wing from the BP and remove the inflator hose from the wing to make packing easier. I use a 21" rolling bag as my carry on , works great for me.
I just picked up a 18# travel wing , so our next trip should go even better with packing.
Jim Breslin

Yep all the time, even talked to TSA about it. If you're packing it they ask you remove it from the bag when it goes through the x-ray scanner because they can't see through the plate. I used to get flagged and the bag would be manually searched, but since I've been taking the plate out (like a laptop) I haven't had an issue.

Ditto with the exception of taking it out of its bag for xray. Half the time they want me to open the bag to see it and half the time they dont.

Just put together a hog 32# and freedom plate, would this setup be easy to take as carry on? Any bag recommendations? I take off each winter and this past winter while backpacking SE Asia i took 26 flights. Therefore id prefer to take my expensive gear carry one and my clothes and crap as checked bag.

Depends on where(what airline) you flying---for example, you 'ain't' getting that sucka on LIAT...

My backplate and VR3 dive computer get flagged all the time in the X-Ray Machine. I've just gotten to the point that I tell TSA beforehand so they don't freak out. Its worse in some airports than others. Caymans has seen it all before. San Antonio on the other hand was more concerned. I've never been told that I cant bring the stuff aboard.

I second the dive caddy option. Bought one for my son and worked out great no issues from TSA in the US or Mexico. Also the Dive Caddy people made some tweeks to the fin caddy for free and got it back to me in time for our trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom