BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
Ahh fellas your not reading the lines or perhaps i am not expressing myself the way i want.
Mike,
I originaly dove with a jacket style BC and then switched to a BPW. The biggest adavantage for recomemnding a BPW is the ability to easly fit all sizes of people. Fitting everyone with a one size jacket style BC is not possible. Else where on this forum is a thread regarding an over-weight prospective diver. His LDS has made claims that they can extned the cumberbund of the jacket. This adjustment is easiy made with a BPW. I dive with a single tank, and omy gosh, I even sometimes do deco dives. For me diving with a BPW has been the most comfortable transition I have made yet. As far as BPW being a phenomena, I don't think you have anything to worry about. When I swithced to a BPW my LDS asked not to dive with there dive club anymore because they did not sell this type of equipemnt. I understand your passion to defend your jacket style BC, but please do not let the emotion of anger get in the way of learning.

Stephen Ash:
Downsides of using this gear for rec diving?
They are definitely not as easy as a BC to adjust for fit. Yes, once adjusted they are cake getting in and out of. But if you use different exposure suits on a frequent basis, you either have to live with a less than perfect fit, readjusting with each change in suit, or purchasing several different plates.
They don’t look near as attractive to many customers and they appear techie and uncomfortable.
On land, if diving without an exposure suit, the straps can rub the skin a little.
They don’t have all the pockets and stuff that some folks like.

I think the downsides are pretty minimal. But to some customers they apparently are very important.

.......about the transpacs and so forth. I use the basic continuous strap but they do have options. I am finishing my rescue this month and already asked to start my DM. The shop wants us to wear a Pro QD or Ranger but they also sell Dive Rite. I am seriously thinking about using this for the pool since the biggest question I got from the shop is the ability to quickly disconnect me when I DM for rescue class in the furture and they want to get me out of my gear. Just a thought

Stephen Ash:
They don’t look near as attractive to many customers and they appear techie and uncomfortable.
I think that's a lot of it, they appear very utilitarian and not 'fun'.

:D

Similar to how an uninformed consumer would purchase an iMac style computer over a plain 'beige box' based on looks, even though the 'beige box' is much more modular and easier to repair/replace individual components on. But they also may be perfectly comfortable with the computer, it does all they need it to and don't want to dump it in favor of something else as long as it works.

Perhaps if we had blue anodized plates and used the pink webbing.....

ChikkenNoodul:
Perhaps if we had blue anodized plates and used the pink webbing.....

I saw something very close to this once.......

Tech dive gear has the reputation, deserved or not, of putting function ahead of comfort.

In other words tech gear is something you put up with because you just have to if you want to do more challenging dives. In many ways the early "tech" gear fit this definition.

Recreational gear is just the opposite, it's supposedly sold based on ease of use and comfort....

Todays reality is a little different. Ideas that were seen as exclusively "Tech" have evolved, have been refined, and often offer greated comfort and ease of use than their "recreational" counterparts.

The truth is long dives in challenging environs require gear that is comfortable, and does not interfer with many tasks faced by the "tech" diver.

How comfortable, easy to use gear, could be an impediment to the recreational diver, escapes me.

Tobin

I'd like to counter the "if they ask for a 'A' don't recommend a 'B'." comments. When a guy walks into a hardware store and asks for a drill bit, he doesn't really need a drill bit. What he needs is to put a hole in something. Depending on what that is, a drill bit might not be the best tool for the job. Is it better to help him identify the best tool based on the need, or just sell him what he asked for?
I dove for a dozen years with a less-than-optimal gear configuration because I was sold what I asked for rather than someone saying "you might consider this instead". So don't get all hoppy when someone offers an alternative solution. They just might be doing the person a big favor.

-Ben

FIXXERVI6:
... remove the crotch strap if it bothers you, and if it is chances are you have it on too tight, gotta let the boys breath some!

thanks.

Nothing says ( well, I'm sure Some group does ) the crotch strap has to be a 2" piece of heavy duty webbing anyway. You can get webbing that is much softer and more flexable than weight belt web, I use a soft 1" peice. It's not a requirement that you have a ' 2" welded scooter ring ' either.

that's a rather good story - my buddy ( who believe it or not is even cheaper than me ) and I were in a LDS. My friend was looking at weight pockets for his BP/W ( yes, you can even dive them with a belt of lead if you want ), the slightly overzelous sales person was wanting to make sure we were properly equiped so he made sure to point out that we needed WELDED scooter rings, not the other kind ( is there another kind?). We just looked at each other and grinned, we careflly assured the sales person that we would never consider anything other than a "welded scooter ring" - as if our cheap arses are over going to own a scooter to start with! We'll swim 2000 yds ( that's one way!) just to avoid paying $10 parking!

airsix:
I'd like to counter the "if they ask for a 'A' don't recommend a 'B'." comments. When a guy walks into a hardware store and asks for a drill bit, he doesn't really need a drill bit. What he needs is to put a hole in something. Depending on what that is, a drill bit might not be the best tool for the job. Is it better to help him identify the best tool based on the need, or just sell him what he asked for?
I dove for a dozen years with a less-than-optimal gear configuration because I was sold what I asked for rather than someone saying "you might consider this instead". So don't get all hoppy when someone offers an alternative solution. They just might be doing the person a big favor.

-Ben

Well said Ben,

May I use that analogy, with your permission?

Tobin

CIBDiving:
We'll swim 2000 yds ( that's one way!) just to avoid paying $10 parking!
You would surface swim over a mile to save 10 bucks? Wow, you are cheap! You do understand that $10 parking would be $5 each? And, 2000 yds equals 6000 feet? This would mean that you are saving aproximately 0.008 cents per foot each. I guess your LDS will not have to worry about running out of any of those welded scooter rings with you two around. Heck you probably use a bicylce pump to fill your tanks, don't you?

Rec Diver:
Heck you probably use a bicylce pump to fill your tanks, don't you?

:bang: ROFLMFAO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom