BP/W Plus Accessories vs BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use these weight pockets and really like them.
Dive Rite 16 lbs. (7.3 kg) QB Weight Pocket, Set of 2

When diving in warm waters with no wetsuit, the small DGX Pocket on the bottom of the plate or up against the plate on the crotch strap is plenty.

The Apex shorts are also worn when not using a wetsuit. Pockets are plenty big for all my junk.

Here's one time I won't recommend my favorite BCD - the Aqualung Dimension - the shoulder quick release clips are a proprietary design that is quite difficult to release.

Here's one time I won't recommend my favorite BCD - the Aqualung Dimension - the shoulder quick release clips are a proprietary design that is quite difficult to release.

Where can I get more, and , oh yeah, who wants creme boulee?

Hi Folks,

For the last 15 years or so I have been diving with a traditional style SeaQuest BCD. Although it has served me well I think it's probably time to replace it.

My general requirements are quite simple. I will always be diving in warm water with a single tank and will be travelling to do so. I have been looking at the merits of back inflation BCDs versus some kind of BP/W setup and obviously there are plenty of both types that meet these requirements.

I'm quite drawn to the simplicity of a BP/W setup however with some of my more specific requirements/preferences I'm not so sure:

1. Easy release shoulder straps. I have had a shoulder reconstructed following an accident and have limited movement in that arm so would probably struggle with fixed straps.
  2. Integrated weights. I know some people advocate using a weight belt but I have used integrated weights for the last 15 years without issue and see no reason to change. I only use about 4kg of lead.
  3. Pockets. On most dives I tend to carry a number of items e.g. a small torch, a macro wet lens etc. With my current BCD I stow these in the BCD pockets.
  4. Reef hook. I frequently dive with a reef hook and line which I currently store in a BCD pocket.

Certainly there are back inflate BCDs that would meet these requirements e.g. Hollis 200 BCD. But what I'm really interested in hearing about is any experience people have with a BP/W setup with accessories that might meet 1-4 above. In particular does adding pockets etc. to a BP/W negate the advantages of a simple setup to such an extent that I might as well use a BCD. Alternatively is there a way of carrying items such as torches, reef hooks that people would recommend that prevents the need to use pockets?

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I used a Sherwood Avid BCD for years. Integrated weight pockets. I used the BCD pockets to hold stuff. I also got into wreck penetration. One time I had to take my gear off in order to get through a small opening. Another time I was going under an upside down ship and scuffed up the front of my jacket squeezing through an opening. Then I saw some guys diving BP/W. I liked how minimal it was on the front. I tried one on and liked how it didn't hug me when I inflated it at the surface. It just felt very freeing.

The integrated weights didn't seem to be a problem for me. I found the BP/W to be far less buoyant than my Avid. So I dropped a lot of weight. Wearing a belt wasn't too bad. But as others have pointed out, you can get weight pockets which attach to the harness.

The big thing for me was the no pockets. But then I found I could get pockets and attach the to the harness. Even with the pockets, it still felt more free than wearing my Avid. I used the BP/W for years but kept my Avid for demoing in the pool (I'm a DM, help Instructors and do Reactivates). I bought a second BP/W for diving in warm water (my first was for diving in Canada). At that point I sold the Avid to a new diver and haven't looked back.

The first post from @rhwestfall talks about the accessories you can use for attaching things. I keep a light on each side, my primary and a back up. I have a zip knife on my waist, I have a pocket for all my 'stuff'. I have a Hollis S25 wing with built in roll bars. These help keep my tank in place. Everything is held tight to the harness. So it is still more streamline than my Avid or most other BCDs I have seen.

I have a DiveRite Deluxe harness and it feels like using my Avid in terms of releases but I don't have any mobility issues. So I switched to a Halcyon harness.

Darrell

Back
Top Bottom