BP/W too advanced for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zackalack8999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got my basic certification about two months ago with NAUI. I am signed up for a nitrox class and advanced open water this month, and I plan on continuing with my diving education, into cave diving, rescue diver, master diver, DM etc. I am going to dive in Hawaii over the summer, but the majority of my time diving will be on the east coast, from VA down to SC. I felt perfectly comfortable in a jacket BC, have never used a back inflate, and am wondering if it is too early for me to consider a BP/ W setup, and if you have any recomendations as to what I should consider.

Edit:

Also, I would prefer to keep it under $500.

BP/W doesn't require advanced skills. Switching from a jacket to a BP/W will require some practice as it works differently, especially at the surface. Go for it!

Divin' Dave:
BP/W doesn't require advanced skills. Switching from a jacket to a BP/W will require some practice as it works differently, especially at the surface. Go for it!

And by "practice" he means doing maybe one or two dives to get you trimmed out. They don't really work differently at the surface. You inflate the bladder and you float. Works the same in both. Good stuff.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but if I am interested in switching to doubles later on, is there any setup that would accomodate that, or is it just a matter of buying an additional wing/ removing a single tank adaptor.

zackalack8999:
I should have mentioned this earlier, but if I am interested in switching to doubles later on, is there any setup that would accomodate that, or is it just a matter of buying an additional wing/ removing a single tank adaptor.

Just buy a doubles wing at that point.

A BP/wing is a BC like any other. If it's well designed (and chances are higher that a BP/wing will be), it will work the same as any other well designed BC.

I'd go for the BP/Wing. Check out the Oxycheq BP/Hog harness/Mach V 30 lb. wing, and you will be very satisfied. I switched from jacket to back inflate, and then to BP/W, and wish I would have started with the BP/W from the very beginning.

Good luck with your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom