BP/W users, how do you prevent bellows pocket from falling off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use pocket shorts. Far easier than the harness strap on pockets which sit far too high on a typical bp/w harness setup. Pocket shorts have the pockets on either side of the thighs just like on many drysuits. Far easier to access and use the pockets IMO.

I second the recommendation of using a weight belt buckle to keep your pocket in place. I can open the buckle and slide my pocket to the front it I need to and it makes it super easy to remove the pocket as needed.

Jackie

The only thing I have on my harness is a small knife. I use it mainly to tuck my primary hose under. I keep a plastic weight belt buckle in front of it to keep it from sliding.

THIS is why I will NEVER backplate and wing. Ive got a scubadubapro Hydros Pro with neg boyancy, instantly dry the second you walk out of the water, and James Bondian looking as a mofo.
Scubapro-Hydros-Pro-Mens-BCD.jpg

With all that padding, chest strap and bungee wing I don't see how it could dry quickly or ever be confused with a backplate and wing.

A piece of patacord and a boltsnap, attatch the cord to the pocket and the boltsnap your plate.
Ah, there is a weight pocket which is bolted on to the backplate which the strap slides though, but maybe I can just put the D ring after this then slide on the pocket and secure it as you suggest with a boltsnap to the D ring. I'm not sure if I have and extra boltsnap, but at the very least I could use a short double ender from the small D ring on the pocket to the installed D ring.
Hmmm.....

A piece of bungee cord and a plastic clip to hip D-ring. Or a boltsnap -- but somehow I usually have more of those plastic "grimloc" clips than boltsnaps lying around. There's never enough boltsnaps.

Doesn't your bellows pocket have a strap that goes around your thigh as its' main attachment point? That's how mine works. The strap that attaches the pocket to my bp/w waist strap just prevents it from sliding down my leg.

I don't really have a problem because I have ditchable weight pouches installed on my bp/w waist belt. The waist attachment point on the bellows pocket goes behind the ditchable weight pouch, so it can't slide off the bp/w without removing the wieght pouch completely.

Maybe a photo of your particular bellows pocket would help?

Here's the bellows pocket I use: Bellows Thigh/Cylinder Pocket w/Daisy Chain | Dive Rite
Here's the ditchable weight pouch I use: 16 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite

As others have said, you could use a d-ring to keep the attachment from sliding off of your harness when the harness is unbuckled. I'm just confused as to why your pouch would fall away completely when not attached to the harness. Maybe your thigh strap is way too loose? I guess that's possible as I'm a big fat dude and my thigh strap is almost too big for me.

You could also poke a hole in the waist strap and the loop from your pocket using a soldering iron or similar heated piece of metal. Then you could use a boltsnap to attach it to your harness instead of looping it around the harness waist strap. However, that's a slightly less flexible solution.

image.jpg
I use a triglide that goes thru the belt and traps the belt loop and an extra dring. The belt loop on the back of the pocket is hard to see. The pouch is centered on the belt, the buckle is offset.

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom