BP/W with one piece harness NOT for everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl: A BP/W is absolutely, 100% the only way to dive.

Unless it doesn't work for you! In which case you should dive something else! :)

Seriously, I'm a big BP/W fan/convert, but indeed if it doesn't work for you, then dive what does! At the end of the day, it's supposed to be fun.

Dogbowl--One thing is certain on SB. You are never going to hear very many of the bp/w advocates concede that their favorite bc type is not the best and only setup for every diver. They are true devotees of the bp/w, and their intentions are good and noble, but if it does not work for you and your husband, I am sure you can do quite well, dive safely, and have a blast in a non-bp/w bcd. Wear what is comfortable for you and meets your diving needs.

I think you are baiting me but I will say it (I may be ostracized by the SB community forever!). Here it goes:

Maybe the best option for my husband is a jacket-style bcd.:surrender:

if that is the case, the question will be what advantage does a jacket bc offer than a plate with a harness like the transplate can't/won't do?

The transplate was designed based off the transpac harness, which was designed for hiking doubles through the jungle. If you are doing a lot of long distance shore diving, then the Transplate is one of the best ways to do it, since it is designed for hiking. Doesn't make it better in the water than a one piece harness, but at the surface it is much better. Most people don't do that much long trekking with their gear, so no reason to spend the extra money for extra complexity, but if you are doing that much extra surface time with your gear, then the Transplate is brilliant

I think you are baiting me but I will say it (I may be ostracized by the SB community forever!). Here it goes:

Maybe the best option for my husband is a jacket-style bcd.:surrender:
I dive with BP/W but I have no problem with your conclusion.
I still see more jacket than BP/W in diving. Who is right/wrong? Who care, just go diving.

Scubaboard is extremely biased FOR the BP/W with one piece harness. :

I don't think this is true at all. Many members here use BP/W and express their views on them but ultimately the diver has to decide what is best for themselves. A poorly fitting BP/W is no good compared with a well fitting BC. A Centrals said above just go dive; I don't think the fish care what you wear as long as your trim and buoyancy do not disturb them.

Scubaboard is extremely biased FOR the BP/W with one piece harness...Now, I'm looking at either the Dive Rite Transpac XT or the Transplate for both of us. While I still think the BP/W with one-piece harness has its benefits, for us, I think we would be much more comfortable in the Transpac or the Transplate, where there is a chest strap (prevents the slippage problem) as well as quick release buckles...
My wife and I both love our Transplate harnesses, padded shoulders, sternum straps, plastic buckles and all, and really don't care what others on Scubaboard think about our choice. I do a lot of beach dives and can tell from experience it is very comfortably and pretty much fits just about anyone once you get it adjusted right, which sometimes takes a while depending on body shape. For my tropical rig where I just roll off a dive boat, I have a lightweight plate and continuous webbing, since there's no need to walk very far and no weight on my shoulders except for a minute on the boat. My wife on the other hand wouldn't consider anything except a Transplate harness on a lightweight plate and she's perfectly happy. This is the first rig that fit her right after she went through several traditional BCs

It always amazes me how people can argue and tell other individuals what is, and is not, COMFORTABLE when scuba diving.

Do we do something similar with shoes? I am willing to bet there is more variability in body morphology than foot shape for 98% of the population, but when someone says "this pair of shoes doesn't fit comfortably" - few of us would argue that they just need to try a different size or tighten (or loosen) the laces.. etc. Dive what is comfortable.

For me personally, I can forgo a crotch strap on a BP/W for most configurations, much easier than I can eliminate the chest strap, but of course, this is heresy to some of the strict, minimalist advocates.

It always amazes me how people can argue and tell other individuals what is, and is not, COMFORTABLE when scuba diving.
I like to dive in drysuit. Anywhere, everywhere. I get a lot of comments about me diving drysuit even in hot conditions. Like one is supposed to dive wet because of some unwritten law or something. Even more, I like to dive doubles with BP/W. I absolutely hate BCD's, can't get comfortable in them. But I will never ever try to convince anyone else for wanting the same as I do. They're just not me and I am not them.

My advice: dive as you like and feel comfortable, don't worry about others opinions.

Look at the belt routing at the waist is the belt entering the inside virtical slot (like it should be) and exiting via the out side slots and then around the waist or the other way around. The strapps need to be rubbing on the torso or love handles. Entering the inside slots promotes this. It is possible thathe is just polain too thin of too sloped shoulders to make the BPW an optimal choice for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom