BP/Wing Users: What System Do You Dive Singles With?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
I thought that he was kidding.

But surely doubles aren't the answer to poor training or knuckle-head divers with poor skills and a lack of common sense.
I was gonna say "Dang ... and I thought the GUE dudes were hard-core".

... then a GUE dude agreed with him! :D

Personally, I don't go in much for the "you're gonna die" mindset. It's more about skills and attitude than gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use a DSS SS Backplate + DSS rubber STA (aka "cradle") + DR Venture Wing.

I like the way stainless steel backplates distributes weight, but I opted not to go with a stainless steel STA because I use steel tanks.

Stephen Ash:
I thought that he was kidding.

But surely doubles aren't the answer to poor training or knuckle-head divers with poor skills and a lack of common sense.

Maybe singles suck if you are HOOVER. :D

Personally I did one hour and 42 minute dive a couple of days ago where I just barely stayed in NDL and used only 2700 psi. I still surfaced with a 1000 in my single 130.

Randy43068:
Hum... I thought the question BP/Wing Users: What System Do You Dive Singles With?

Lets stay on topic, eh?

<darn that felt good!>

You caught us just before we got on to deep air. Good thing! :D

O.K. back on topic...

...sometimes I just use an Al plate and an STA...no wing...and I've been known to just grab a AL40 pony and a few pounds on a belt and leave everything else...and I mean everything... behind! :11:

Randy43068:
Hum... I thought the question BP/Wing Users: What System Do You Dive Singles With?

Lets stay on topic, eh?

<darn that felt good!>
Careful ... someone might decide to make you a moderator ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Careful ... someone might decide to make you a moderator ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

...get a rope! :14:

im just saying its always better to have a redundant air supply no matter how deep your going, if you and your buddy both have single 80s at a 100 ft and lets say you have a catastrophic reg failure towards the end of your dive i doubt your buddy will have enough gas for both of you to make it to the surface. plus trim is much better with doubles, you dont always need to dive a big set of doubles, get a right set of tanks for the job!

California Diver:
im just saying its always better to have a redundant air supply no matter how deep your going, if you and your buddy both have single 80s at a 100 ft and lets say you have a catastrophic reg failure towards the end of your dive i doubt your buddy will have enough gas for both of you to make it to the surface. plus trim is much better with doubles, you dont always need to dive a big set of doubles, get a right set of tanks for the job!

You're right about having a redundant air supply, it's always best. And that should be your buddys gas if the team is diving single tanks. The rule also good for when diving doubles, also. Keep in mind the gas both or the three of you are diving with is TEAM gas, not individual gas. If the dive goes as you indicate then the divers didn't plan their dive well at all, as there is NO good reason to run out of air as you describe. One should always do some gas management planning prior to entering the water. The divers should know their rock bottom and turn pressure for the group, be it two or three divers. Always plan to have enough gas to get both divers to the surface in the event of an equipment failure. Actually diving doubles is, in many cases, the proper way to dive if one want's any kind of bottom time.

This is a rushed comment so my sentence structure isn't as it should be. Please overlook that.

California Diver:
That isn't a "singles vs. doubles" issue. Do a search on rock bottom here on SB. Its possible to go past rock bottom on doubles as well, esp. if someone goes past the NDL or if you are doing two dives on one set of tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom