Branching off from the digressing solo diver thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heeheee......... Rooster, I recently got read out ROYALLY for wandering off!!! I didn't realize that I had - in fact, I was waiting for him to catch up with me.
Now, had I realized that I went the wrong way to start with...... well, you get the picture....:arrow:
Let me tell you though, with the "threat" of sea lions today, I was stuck to my dive buddy like GLUE!!! (I don't want to get eaten first!!)

I really hate when it happens to me, but honestly I have left my buddy behind once or twice accidently. However, I am usually within an arms length of my buddy at all times :D =-) :D

so I am always assigned someone once I arrive at the dock. With the operations I have dived with so far, it seem to be the norm to assign the "solo" divers together. I would classify most of my dives as "same ocean dives". Some of my buddies have been better than others.

I usually find myself in the position of feeling like a leech - in that I take the responsibility of sticking close to my buddy, while they dart here and there, willy-nilly. As long as I can keep them in sight, I haven't usually minded, probably because I haven't known any differently.

A couple of weeks ago I was paired with a diver that was here on vacation for about a month. We only dived 2 times together, but with him I discovered what it was like to really have a buddy (under normal diving conditions) - I usually try to stick like glue to my buddy's side, and this was the first time that when I turned my head, a buddy was right beside me. I have been diving before under less than optimal conditions when a buddy has kept a hand on my shoulder or arm, but this was the first time that someone was right next to me - even when the conditions did not warrant it being necessary.

The feeling of "sharing" the dive was great - and the conversation of what we saw and experienced once the dive was over during our SI was even better. Makes me wish I had a regular buddy.

go and get a good friend certified, thats what I did, now I always have a buddy who is ready to jump in the water even if I'm not :D =-) :D

my wife is my usual buddy; we pretty much stay within 10-15 feet of each other. At night or under less than good vis we may even hold hands - romantic AND safe.:)

I just swim to him/her, give him/her the finger, and swim away. If they follow me, then hurrah. If they don't, I signal "End of Dive". I hate those situations. If you're not close to your buddy, then what is gonna happen if something goes wrong ??? :eek:

Just my.02

Amanda once bubbled...
I just swim to him/her, give him/her the finger, and swim away. Just my.02

made me think of the time I was diving with my buddy, King Kong Matt. We are just cruising along and giving the "ok" back and forth every few minutes. Well... one time I give him an "ok" and he's looking me in the eyes and gives me the finger back. I just about spit out my reg laughing.

Ps. Matt: you got Lisa doing that to me now:wacko:

guess I should answer the question too...

You have the choice on how you want to dive, and who you want to dive with. If you are diving with somebody new (paired up on a charter, etc.), you need to discuss the dive plan. You need to discuss the plan even with an old buddy, but especially on a "first dive". That should include what to do if you get separated. It's pretty easy to tell if they blow you off and disappear underwater, or if it was an actual "accidental" separation.... (ie. 0 vis, etc.).

If somebody blows me off, then I'm not diving with them. If it's accidental, and we both surface after a minute or 3, then ok, let's continue.

If the plan was for a "same ocean" buddy, then you need to decide if that is something you want to do. (your potential buddy says "let's do our own thing once we are under", etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom