Branching off from the digressing solo diver thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My story

I was getting air at the local dive shop for a night dive in Laguna Beach that night. There was another diver in there asking if we were diving and could he join. Didnt see a problem with it so i told him to meet us at Woods Cove at 7pm.

He did show up and we all evaluated the conditions, it was a thumbs up! We suited up and headed down the long stair case. The entry was perfect, no surf, so we started our dive after swimming a short distance.

I kept my eye on him and he was right with us for the first 15 min. Shortly after about 20 min there was no sign of him. We looked around briefly but didnt see him. We all had lights and there was no siogn of his when we turned ours off. We surfaced ( cutting our dive short ) and scanned the surface and beach, no sign of him! Now we were quite worried and headed to shore in hopes of seeing him. Didnt see anyone at all.

We thought the worse and were making our way to my truck to get make a call.

Low and behold his car is GONE!

That A hole left and didnt bother telling me or my buddy he was aborting the dive.

Andy

I was so pissed, still am now i think about it again.

inner space once bubbled...
HAPPENS ALL THE TIME ON WRECKS, YOU HAVE TO BE SELF SUFFICIENT, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AT THE END OF THE DAY, SHOULD NEVER GET IN WATER RELYING ON SOMEONE ELSE.:)

Please turn your caps lock off. Your posts are difficult to read. Moreover, all caps on a BBS means that you are shouting.

I respectfully disagree with your statement. Properly trained buddies do not seperate by accident. In addition, properly trained divers have specific protocols in place in the event that they become seperated.

Self-sufficiency is all well and good, but it doesn't help when you are injured or otherwise have a problem that requires intervention.

We can (and have) debated the philosophy of solo diving. However, no one, not even the most ardent solo diver on the Board, would agree that you should accept unintended seperation as a natural consequence of wreck diving.

I respectfully suggest that a training refresher on buddy skills might not be inappropriate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom