Brand new Intova Torch - Failed at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkimFisher

Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased an Intova torch (:: INTOVA ::) less than 4 weeks ago and had it fail on me yesterday mid-dive at a depth of 65 feet. This was the 4th dive for the torch and it still had the original set of batteries in it so I thought it may have just been time for a new set. Upon surfacing I dried it off and set about replacing the batteries. I didn't notice any moisture on the O-rings or threads, but when I opened it up there was definitely leaking going on somewhere. There wasn't a lot of water in the torch - barely any really - just a few droplets on the sidewalls. When I examined the end piece I noticed that it looked like water was coming in THRU the endpiece/switch mechanism - not around it. See the picture I took - it will better explain things. Notice the discoloration in the seal around the spring AND under the spring (I couldn't really get the camera to focus on what's under it, but you can see the bubbling).

Either way - what recourse do I have here? This seems to be obviously defective - so how can I get it fixed/replaced?

DSC00755.JPG

you will need to contact there head office in Hawaii and get authorization # and then ship to the main office in Hawaii.. these are solid lights but they still need to work out the magantic switch issue on the older models as a buddy and myself have had the magnatic switch fail on both of us and looks like you picked up there lastest model as the magantic switch has a tendancy to switch on i have noticed with myself when doing restrictions... i picked up this new model so good to know this has happened and will keep a eye on this..

i did not bother to ship and just picked up another for back up but my buddy is shipping his out so cannot tell you on there service

Very sorry to hear of your problem. By your description it sounds like
you have a compact torch with the tail button switch. This is a new
product but it has been very reliable. Unfortunately, no manufacturing
process is perfect and it sounds like you probably have a legitimate
problem. If water got inside it probably fried the PC board so the light
will need to be replaced. Please contact Tiffany@intova.net to arrange a
replacement light. Sorry for the trouble!!!

I have two versions, the magnetic switch, and the push button.
The push button version which I am about to send back to the dealer after 10 hours in the water, is a schizophrenic item....
Never can tell if it's going to turn on, off, or go into strobe mode permanently. Must be a circuit problem, despite never having leaked.
Acts differently depending on new batteries, medium or nearly flat batteries. It's roulette.

The magnetic switch version hasn't failed on me yet, though I hear other people have problems with the switch.
Tovatec IFL WA Wide angle waterproof torch | Intova

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom