Brand new looking for reassurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can do everything needed, you passed one of the hardest things the underwater swim. The equipment part is easy the trick is don't panic you know what to do just slow down, think, then act. You'll be fine.

I did NAUI last year. I did not have to swim underwater, hum.
I did not enjoy the lessons, but I was nervous. I passed the class and have been on 2 dive trips and it just gets better and better.

Take your time, practice the skills and you will do well. Clearing the mask is very easy. Taking the mask off while underwater and breathing with the regulator can be scary but it can be done. Take it slowly and that will help reduce the difficulty. If you can practice the skills before class, do so. Taking off the equipment and putting it back on is very easy.

Take your training seriously and it will build confidence in you.
Good luck.

(snip) The only reason I passed the swimming test is that everyone else was already out of the water when I was about a quarter of the way through, and the instructor got tired of waiting & passed me.

Thanks Don, You just helped me too. I never learned to swim (crawl) cause I floated like a rock, I just learned to tread water fashionably.:D

Yeah I wish I woulda known that one BEFORE i had to do that skill! hehehe I figured that one out on my own during my own practice time. but yeah good advice!

-Tricia

I have taken all of the NAUI non-leadership tests up through and including NAUI Master Diver and none of these test were open book. What is the point of an open book exam?

Remember the NAUI instructor determines the passing grade. NAUI states that the minimum passing grade is 75. The NAUI instructor can pick any grade above that level to be passing. Every NAUI exam I took at my LDS required a minimum grade of 90% to pass.

Actually the NAUI instructor (Per NAUI) can choose to fail you from passing even if you score 100% on the test and can perform all the skills required.

If they feel you are prone to panic or appear to be a threat or at risk to yourself or others... They reserve the right to refuse to isue you a certification.

There was only 2 of us in my NAUI class. We were both at ease in the water swimming, picked up on the skills in one or 2 tries. Getting to strip all our gear off , untangle things, and put it on again in the pool was our reward for not sucking down all our air in the skills sets.

At first my default dive buddy in the class was very agitated about the in water part of the class. I took her to lunch on the first day and just got her to calm down and relax. She was a swimming instructor and a very strong swimmer but all the equipment caused her stress.

She was a lot calmer once we got back from lunch but still showing signs of being stressed. So the instructor had her do some extra skills to practice just to get her comfotable and farmiliar with her gear. Sounds like your instructor did the same to you?

Afterwards she thanked me for lunch and talking her down by easing her fears. I just told her not to thank me, it was my job as her dive buddy to keep her calm and I was just being selfish, if she freaked out in the water... I was dead. :D

She understood I was teasing her a little bit and the rest of the class went without issues.

Sorry I haven't gotten back on to report sooner. I just wanted to thank everyone for the encouragement. I got my cert :) I had some problems at first clearing the mask because I kept getting water up my nose. I got over it by just realizing it was going to happen and dealing with it. Also slowing down did help with the amount of water I swallow. Our first dive was 20 ft in rainbow river. We did 2 dives and on the second one when the instructor ran everyone through the skill set again he gave me and my buddy the signal to pair up and swim off. I asked him later why he made everyone else do it again and he said he was comfortable enough with us that we didn't have to. . . Major confidence booster. Also on that second dive they passed out hot dogs to feed to the fish. I got so comfortable down there I took out my reg out and started eating the hotdog.:dork2: lol and since it we were swimming in a spring I just drank some of the water we were swimming in. :D
Our final dive was a wreck and a reef off of clearwater in 40-50 ft. on the wreck I got to drop down 5 ft away from a 300lb jewfish. :popcorn:We stared at each other for awhile and then I swam off. Not long after I got right in the middle of 6or7 3-5ft cuda's. Made me a little nervoud because they got within about 4ft of me. :11:What was kinda scary though was while we were down there a storm came in over us. At 45ft I could hear the rain hitting, I kept seeing flashes above and hearing bacon sizzle. Kind of spooky, but my buddy and I still managed 55 min of bottom time.
Now I'm ready to start spearing. I've got a trip booked on the 18th in Marathon. Thanks again everyone!!:D

I've been wanting to get certified for years now and I finally had my first open water class last night with NAUI. We did the swim test and it was rough I was barely able to do the underwater 60' swim. I'm not out of shape and I can swim, just not that great. Please tell me that that was the hardest physical part of the class. Also I've heard some things people had to do that get me nervous. I know I'll have to clear my mask and put gear on underwater. Can anyone tell me what else to expect?

It took me a year of trying to do the 60 ft one breath swim without anxiety. I was able to swim 1/2 to 1 mile just fine, but it wasn't until I got the breast stroke down well, that the underwater swim was easier. So I don't think you're alone in saying that it is difficult.

I went through the NAUI cert and I hated the swim and the part where I had to tread water. I find it easier to be in the water with the scuba on than without the gear. Practicing the clearing of the mask and the unconcious diver was the most demanding excersises and it wasn't even that strenuous. Just stay calm cause there is an instructor there and they don't want you to get hurt. They won't ask you to do anything life threatening. they just want to prepare you mentally for things when they do come up that way you don't freak out by not knowing what to do in an emergency.

I've been wanting to get certified for years now and I finally had my first open water class last night with NAUI. We did the swim test and it was rough I was barely able to do the underwater 60' swim. I'm not out of shape and I can swim, just not that great. Please tell me that that was the hardest physical part of the class. Also I've heard some things people had to do that get me nervous. I know I'll have to clear my mask and put gear on underwater. Can anyone tell me what else to expect?

Not a Naui person... but I question the 60' uderwater swim in an open water class. While I understand the idea behind it... it sounds like it happened in the first pool session. I am unfamiliar with such a requirement in any of the other major agencies. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

A 200 yard surface swim and 10 minute tread water are standards. The skill most people struggle with is mask clearing... but not to fear... a good instructor will get you through that with no worries. The rest of the class should be relatively easy.

Here is a brief list (possibly not complete - depending on agency and Instructor) of what you may expect:

Regulator clearing
Regulator Retrieval
Mask Clearing
Mask Removal and Replacement
Air Sharing
Air Sharing Ascents
Proper Ascents and Descents
Equipment Removal and Replacement (Underwater and on Surface)
Weightbelt Removal and Replacement (Underwater and on Surface)
CESA - Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascents
Cramp Relief
Buddy Towing (Buddy Assist)
Fins Pivots and/or Hovering (buoyancy skills)
Compass Navigation skills

All of these are designed to make you confident in the water. The hardest for most to master is buoyancy control... so practice practice practice. The mask clearng thing is mental... because it is mechanically easy to do... keep an open mind and listen and watch your instructor... you'll do great!

No worries... you'll be a fish in no time.

I believe that GUE require a 50 or 60 ft one breath swim. I think it does demonstrate comfort ABOVE the water, where many diver death occurs. If one is comfortable holding ones breath while doing exercise, one would be more confident with waves pounding over your head while struggling with malfunctioning scuba gear, accidental jumping in with your valve off (I've done this twice), rolling in the surf without your reg....

Underwater, the 60 ft swim does not prove any degree of scuba comfort. I do think it is a good idea. Rhythmic breathing while swimming is another skill that I wish agencies would require. This would also assure more comfort on the surface, than under.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom