Brand new looking for reassurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our instructor said that the theory behind the 60 ft swim is that since we are recommended to only go to a depth of 60ft. if something happens (out of air) at least we can swim to the surface on one breath. We did all of the skills you mentioned and also for our last pool session he gave us blacked out masks with a leak and made us follow a line all throughout the pool over under and through a lot of different obstacles. Some of them were very tight squeezes.

Our instructor said that the theory behind the 60 ft swim is that since we are recommended to only go to a depth of 60ft. if something happens (out of air) at least we can swim to the surface on one breath. We did all of the skills you mentioned and also for our last pool session he gave us blacked out masks with a leak and made us follow a line all throughout the pool over under and through a lot of different obstacles. Some of them were very tight squeezes.

I sure hope that Instructor told you not to hold your breath all the way to the surface? Otherwise he is going to get you killed.

Actually he told us to never hold our breath for that very reason. And when we did our regulator recovery if he didn't see bubbles continously coming out of our mouths he wouldn't pass us on it.

And on our swim test we did a 60 ft. underwater swim, 220yard surface swim, treaded water for 10 minutes, then before we could touch anything we had to get in a line and pass a 4 lb weight over our heads and back.

I am guessing that you are taking your class at Bill Jackson's that is where I did my open water certification. The lap swims and underwater swim is the most physically challenging, however, there are other challenging parts to the course it is by no means a show up and pass. Most of the Open water classes are designed to introduce you to possible problematic situations, so that if something happens you will not panic and will know what to do. Stick with it in the end you will be glad that you had that experience in the event something does happen. NAUI instruction is very militaristic but when you finish you will feel much more comfortable.

What a great read this thread was. Thanks to all and for all the info. I have been free diving for many years and once around 20 years ago did a vacation scuba thing for a day in St. Thomas. Now, finally, I am ready to get into this thing fully. I hope to be signed up for my classes by this weekend.

Yeah, everyone one here had great advice. The swim test is the worst part, but once you pass that it's a lot of fun.

I've been wanting to get certified for years now and I finally had my first open water class last night with NAUI. We did the swim test and it was rough I was barely able to do the underwater 60' swim. I'm not out of shape and I can swim, just not that great. Please tell me that that was the hardest physical part of the class. Also I've heard some things people had to do that get me nervous. I know I'll have to clear my mask and put gear on underwater. Can anyone tell me what else to expect?

Just wait until you learn the kicks! Plus, experience will make it better in no time!

Back
Top Bottom