Brand new to Philippines diving, where to go in July near Manila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a non-diver wife, I would recommend to go to Puerto Galera where I just came from. I was diving on the morning and spent the afternoon with my wife and 18 month old daughter experiencing a new beach everyday.
The water is clear and warm, and you can find white sand beaches, but also beautiful stone beach or gravel beach with only few kilometers separating them.
Plenty of great value resorts over there when your wife can enjoy the beach, pool, food, cocktails and cheap massage.

For Anilao, it is mostly macro oriented and nothing else than diving to do. I stayed and dove with Anilao Scuba Dive Center (ASDC) which was great and clearly the cheapest option over there (plenty of dive centers there, but mostly high priced)

OP here. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and recommendations. We decided on Puerto Galera, specifically, to stay in Edgewater Dive and Spa Resort. We're still working out transportation from Manila (Ortigas) to Puerto Galera on a Tuesday and then Pto. Galera back to Tagaytay on a Sunday. I am nervous about trusting online information about ferries. Not sure if I believe it. Prices are all over the place. Schedules sound more certain than they probably are. My wife is terrified of capsizing.

Also, Edgewater has a dive operation, but if others have suggestions of whether I should use theirs or try others, please let me know. I don't know if it's easy or hard to get around in Sabang/Pto. Galera area.

Thanks.

I am not familiar with this place but seems quite isolated.
Public bus from Buendia to Batangas Pier is around P170.00. Ferry to Mulle is around P300.00.
Private transfer is about P6,500.00 each way.

OP here. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and recommendations. We decided on Puerto Galera, specifically, to stay in Edgewater Dive and Spa Resort. We're still working out transportation from Manila (Ortigas) to Puerto Galera on a Tuesday and then Pto. Galera back to Tagaytay on a Sunday. I am nervous about trusting online information about ferries. Not sure if I believe it. Prices are all over the place. Schedules sound more certain than they probably are. My wife is terrified of capsizing.

Also, Edgewater has a dive operation, but if others have suggestions of whether I should use theirs or try others, please let me know. I don't know if it's easy or hard to get around in Sabang/Pto. Galera area.

Thanks.
Given your location in the Batangas Channel, I would just stick with the dive operator that is on site and work a package deal. Trying to get anywhere else to do your diving from there looks like it will be a lot of time and hassle. Your location is quite pretty from an aesthetics standpoint and the good muck diving is right there in the Channel.

The resort is based in Puerto Galera Bay, on the road about halfway between PG town and Sabang. You are very close to the muck diving sites and about 10-20 minutes away from the majority of the reef dives around Sabang Bay and around the point. Rosemary is the dive manager there and she is very good.

This was all great advice. I love scubaboard. BUT, there was a major complication and now I have a different question. I had to cancel last minute because the doctors discovered an ear problem that I had thought was all better. It's a separate enough question that i put it in a separate thread...

Refunds for medical cancellation?

Back
Top Bottom