Breathing down twin tanks while cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think part of my caution stems from an incident that happend just prior to me taking cavern/intro. A full cave diver that used to hang out with my LDS that I had dove with a couple of times died in one of Florida's caves. I decided to go on with the training anyway telling myself that if I saw any inherent unmanagable risks to cave diving, I'd go back to lakes and reefs. Fortunately, everything I learned indicated that cave diving could be done safely provided you never shave off those hairs on the back of your neck.

loosebits:
A full cave diver that used to hang out with my LDS that I had dove with a couple of times died in one of Florida's caves.

That didnt happen to be around Thanksgiving about 3 years ago did it?

Yes. Did you know him?

Nic160:
Don't worry Jordan, When we all Die you can rule the world.

Yes! I guess I'd better stop cave diving so I don't miss my opportunity to rule the world.

loosebits:
Yes. Did you know him?

I met him that day. Saw another vehicle with Tx plates pull up as we were gearing up to do our dive, so I ended up going over and talking to them for a few minutes. I think they indicated that they had just drove in that day.

After my team exited, we spent some time in the headpool just hanging out. Their team had started bringing gear down in preperation for their dive and I recall looking it over as a few things stood out to me.

We left for lunch shortly after that.

The "what if" ghost haunted me for a while after that, including what if we hadn't left so soon, if we had done a little bit longer dive, if we had gone in a little later, maybe my team (3 divers) would have been able to assist.

The brief conversation I did have with them, they seemed like nice guys. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

I've never been able to get the same story twice of what happened but I know he had some unconventional gear that may or may not have contributed to the accident depending on which version of the story one subscribes to.

loosebits:
I've never been able to get the same story twice of what happened but I know he had some unconventional gear that may or may not have contributed to the accident depending on which version of the story one subscribes to.

Because of our interaction with the divers involved I took a special interest in this accident and was able to get details from various sources. I never saw the need to post any of my finding publicly, or speculate. I remember fuzzy portions of it and could probably recount the basics from memory. If you're interested PM me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom