breathing O2 after a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't get me wrong . . . There is NO question that breathing 100% O2 will wash out your nitrogen faster. And the likelihood of any toxicity from using it at the surface is very low. I just worried that, without doing something like running it through a deco software program, someone wouldn't have any accurate way of knowing how MUCH they had accelerated offgassing, and therefore it wouldn't be a good idea to use it to shorten surface intervals.

DandyDon:
I hope that's an oops misquote...? :confused:
Weeellll, he would be "scrubbing off" CO2 also :mooner: but yeah I think he was probably meaning to say N2 :D

What I'm more worried about is that at 20ft(6m) 100% oxygen would have a ppO2 of 1.6 (assuming at least you're diving at the coast; i.e. sea level,) and that's the absolute max limit reserved even for emergencies. After 1.6 the probability of showing oxtox symptoms become unacceptable. Not such a smart idea just to go "scrubbing off" excess nitrogen I'd say. :no

MASKING the symptoms of DCS with the green bottle, and CURING the DCS are two very different things. Just thought I would throw that out there since there may be people reading through this thread and have stumbled upon some false information, and didn't know any better.

I would save it for an emergency but O2 is evvective against a hangover also. Maybe when I got to the bar I will wear an O2 Mask with a hose for the drinks added. That way I get properly sunseted and no hangover. Just kidding.....

Back
Top Bottom