Bring own dive gear on cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imfreeagle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be going on a cruise to Grand Caymon, Cozumel in Feb. Looking for advice if I should bring my own gear(not weight tanks) or use dive operations. My main concern is it worth the extra hassel to have gear you know. I plan to dive at three ports. Any experiance and help would be greatful.

Thanks in advance,

imfreeagle

Would you rather have your own gear with known maintenance and that you know intimately or whatever is available from a rental pool in what may be a third world country?

I have seen rental offerings that were impressive and others that scared the crap out of me. Are you feeling lucky?

Pete

Hi,

I got the same problem of not knowing whether to bring my own gear on a cruise before. I hope my experience would give you some idea.

I preferred my own gears so I brought the whole set with me. On my way out of to the dive, my gears wasn't so bad to carry since they were dry and light. On the way back, the BC and the 3mm wet suit became so heavy that required labor to carry it back to the cruise. Once I get it to my room, I realized that I need to wash them and dry them. Luckily, I got the balcony room so I can dry the gears outside.

My conclusion is if I do not have a balcony room, I would not carry my gears. (of course without tanks and weights). Even if I have a balcony room, I only bring my gears if I dive more than twice or the cost justifies the hassle of bringing my gears. You may need to find out how much it costs to rent a set. Minimally, you may want to carry every things except the heavy one (BS and wet suite). I rather have my own dive computer.

One of the dive from Belize, I had to take a tender from the cruise to land, then took a taxi to airport, then took a flight to San Pedro and back. Carrying own gears must have been a nightmare so I rented gears on that dive.

Of course, this is only my own opinions, people may have different ideas about carrying gears around and clean them.

I will be going on a cruise to Grand Caymon, Cozumel in Feb. Looking for advice if I should bring my own gear(not weight tanks) or use dive operations. My main concern is it worth the extra hassel to have gear you know. I plan to dive at three ports. Any experiance and help would be greatful.

Thanks in advance,

imfreeagle

Carrying life support gear you know and trust is no big deal. Get a BPW and everything will fit in a back pack(mine is by Oceanic) that will go in the overhead. Unimportant stuff like t-shirts and shorts and other clothes can be bought or put in checked bags that they deliver to your room.

I took my own gear on a cruise a few years ago- had no problem. First time cruising and diving, I take my own gear whenever I go on a trip. Know who used it last and who took care of it.

Ray

always take your own gear as you know it and rentals can be a pain.. i rented in Cebu and my depth guage was broken i was losing air everywhere, so bringing your own gear is hassle free when diving. if someone sets your gear always double check it as i was busy with my customers rechecking theirs.

I rent all my gear (except mask and snorkel) on all my trips. I like to travel light, only dive a few times a year (always on vacation), and don't want to deal with having my own equipment.

That said, I am picky about the dive ops I dive with. The ones I've dived with (and plan to dive with) have all been highly recommended on this board. I am picky about the equipment and check it over pretty darn carefully. I use the same dive op all week and this translates to using the same equipment all week.

That said, if you are going to be using random dive ops picked out by a cruise company (probably a lowest bidder) over the course of your trip and you already have your own equipment, I think even I would break my own "always rent" rule and bring my own equipment.

imfreeagle - I think I am going on the same cruise as you but over Christmas. I dive 20+ dives per year, mostly midwest. I get to warm water maybe every 2 years.

I planned on taking my gear (all but wts and tanks). Question...what do you take it in. I was hoping to get a duffle or backpack type carrying bag. Would prefer NOT to check it in. Is there any luggage out these that will fit a complete set of gear AND be considered a carry-on for the airlines.

My wife and I do a cruise almost every winter, and I've seen rental BCs that looked like they just came out of the box, as well as rental masks and regs that actually had fungus growing in them.

There's no way to tell which you'll get.

Bring your own stuff.

Terry

I just went on a cruise last Sept which included GC and Cozumel. I took my gear for the same reasons as the others have suggested and I would not do it any different if I were to take the cruise again. I kept my reg., computer & mask with me as carry on and checked everything else (Wetsuit, fins & BC) and was dropped at my door shortly after I arrived to my room.

I took my own wetsuit for protection (I looked like a dork:dork2: wearing a 3 mil suit in Sept. until we ran into all the tiny jellyfish on our way back to the boat.:mooner:) Also I'm a difficult fit and I know I can't just use any off the rack wetsuit, not to mention cleanliness issues:D!

You're going to warm waters (Check avg. water temps for that time of the year) you could just dive with a skin which would also solve the drying dilema and provide you with some protection.

If you do take a wetsuit, ask for a big plastic bag from the cleaning crew. Rinse your wetsuit and keep it in the plastic bag if you're diving the next day. If not you will have to hang it up.
They do frown upon hanging clothes in the balcony , at least they did on our ship. But you could keep it outside instead of inside the cabin.

Same issues with the BC as far as drying it out. One outfit I dove with had Scubapro bcd's but were all jacket style, YMMV.

Fins and masks were very sketchy at best from the operators. You'd be better off with your own and they don't take much space.

Also, if you normally carry a knife, consider taking shears instead.

I hope this helps you.
Wys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom