Bringing my own live aboard inflatable life vest ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't hurt to be prepared. We always have a Go-Bag. A waterproof smallish bag with passports, reading glasses, waterproof flashlight, cell phone and any necessary meds. It sits right by the door. I don't fear that the boat will sink (that would make for a lousy vacay) but I am realistic that things happen and would rather have the opportunity to possibly have these things in an emergency.

Just don't wear it at the dinner table you might freak out the other guests @scubafanatic :wink:

Over the years I've read many reports of unexpected/sudden live aboard sinkings, . . .

Out of however many sinkings there have been, how many resulted in fatalities that were due to people not being able to obtain lifejackets? I'm not disputing your logic, just wondering what the odds are.

I suppose for a similar reason that those in the PLB thread are getting prepared.

@scubafanatic, well, you own it now. Why not take it, regardless what anyone else says. Sure the life jackets on liveaboards are more often in your room but if a person is sleeping and the boat is going down fast, you could throw it on and grab the lob's, as well. Then if somehow you lose theirs or you have to climb through a hole or something, you still have a lifevest.

I agree as long as it is rated properly, don't recall the limitations on the inflatables, even if it is a mustang it may not work out for an "abandon ship" situation.
When I had to travel for work I had my own that took to every project, different conditions but similar motive. I'd arrive to a vessel and they would hand my some nasty vests, same if it was a project that required crane operations, I had my own hard hat. Now this wasn't for just in case, it was mandatory to wear it while working on deck and definitely during changing vessels.
By the way you are allowed to fly with the automatic ones that have the cartridge. PITA at the airports because they tend to look at them up and down, and usually motivates TSA to look at "everything" you carry, but they never took it away from me.

I wouldn't take one for a LOB, but wouldn't worry or think anything if another person shows up with one.

Interesting read on where the life jackets are located. All of the liveaboards I have been on (9 so far) have had life jackets both in the room and also up on deck on the way to the muster station, if not directly next to the muster station. This means there are 2X the number of life jackets on board compared to the number of people on board, as each person has 1 available in 2 locations. You go for whichever is more convenient and that you are closer to.

What a bunch of weirdos.

Of course you should bring it, alongside your PLB, Lifeline radio, CO detector, and shampoo, and anything else that makes you feel good on the liveaboard. Don't listen to the naysayers, you are one of the few folks I know that dives prepared.

I like the idea of a ditch bag in your room with your ID, life vest, PLB, and clean skivvies. Everything you need to get home easily when your liveaboard sinks.

More than 1 lifejacket is not a bad thing but I would consider it as "I'll use this if I can't get one from the boat" for the reasons Ghost95 suggests. You could encounter pokey things in the boat exit and things that swim around in the ocean after shipwrecks might puncture it.

Since such accidents aren't entirely rare nowadays, a couple of addendums to your thought are: create the Go bag suggested by Cali_diver; and familiarize yourself with exiting your cabin and getting to the deck (I'm referring to in the dark).

Since such accidents aren't entirely rare nowadays, a couple of addendums to your thought are: create the Go bag suggested by Cali_diver; and familiarize yourself with exiting your cabin and getting to the deck (I'm referring to in the dark).

True...I've read more abandon ship stories on liveaboards in the last couple of years than I care to actually accept happens. Maybe it is worthwhile attaching an IP67 or 68 headlamp that you can easily get from an outdoor store or online to the exterior of your ditch bag in case all the lights, including the emergency backups and illumination, are not working. Oh, or a spare dive light. :)

True...I've read more abandon ship stories on liveaboards in the last couple of years than I care to actually accept happens. Maybe it is worthwhile attaching an IP67 or 68 headlamp that you can easily get from an outdoor store or online to the exterior of your ditch bag in case all the lights, including the emergency backups and illumination, are not working. Oh, and a dive light. :)
Just bring your dive light into your cabin....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom