Brinyte DIV10 "3000 Lumen" Canister light Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's the ones that came with the torch, plain blue in color. First symptom I noticed was the battery was used but when placed in their charger, the charger LED was green and it won't charge.

I was looking to buy the Keeppower 5200mAh batteries, anyone knows where I can get them, and do they ship internationally?

Btw, when the batteries drain out, the light just dies suddenly without any warning (happened on a night dive). I thought I'd lost the torch, but upon recharging the batteries, it came to life again. Subsequent presses on the switch will show nothing at all on the lighthead. FYI.

I think it would be a better design to order the power switching so that low power comes first, then middle, high & turbo (currently it's the reverse). That way perhaps you might still be able to turn it on low power and continue the rest of your dive when the batteries are low.

I bought the Keepower cells from here: Keeppower 26650 5200mAh 3.7V LiMn (protected) - 26650 size - Rechargeable batteries

I've racked up around 20 dives with the DIV10 now, no problems at all.

Dear Archer,
This light is impressive in its brightness.

Some suggestions on how to improve the design of this light (some have been mentioned by others before), hopefully it can be fed back to the engineers and hope to see an upgraded light in future.

1. The light head is really too heavy. It is tiring and painful to use for more than a few minutes. Both me and my buddy who tried it have resorted to holding the light head itself in our right hand instead of using the goodman handle. My buddy had a Halcyon Focus, and in switching between these lights, the discomfort caused by the DIV 10 is very obvious.

2. The goodman handle is too wide. Shorten it to a typical hand's breadth to make it more usable.

3. If possible, round the edges of the goodman handle that come in contact with the top of the hand for improved comfort.

4. The webbing on the canister is too wide and loose. Most people use a 2" belt webbing for their BCD. The webbing on the canister should be just slightly larger than 2", and should be tight when slid onto the BCD's webbing.

5. The webbing on the canister should be shifted higher. Divers use the canister to capture their long hose, and the way the clamps are positioned now leave very little of the canister for this purpose.

6. A protected sturdy switch will be better than a press switch.

7. Canister lights are used for signalling purposes in tech/cave dives. A tighter 6 degree beam will be much better. The current beam is too wide.

8. The battery charger that is supplied with the torch is silly. It has 2 charging slots, when the light has 3 batteries.

Dear Archer,

Some suggestions on how to improve the design of this light (some have been mentioned by others before), hopefully it can be fed back to the engineers and hope to see an upgraded light in future.

1. The light head is really too heavy. It is tiring and painful to use for more than a few minutes. Both me and my buddy who tried it have resorted to holding the light head itself in our right hand instead of using the goodman handle. My buddy had a Halcyon Focus, and in switching between these lights, the discomfort caused by the DIV 10 is very obvious.

2. The goodman handle is too wide. Shorten it to a typical hand's breadth to make it more usable.

3. If possible, round the edges of the goodman handle that come in contact with the top of the hand for improved comfort.

4. The webbing on the canister is too wide and loose. Most people use a 2" belt webbing for their BCD. The webbing on the canister should be just slightly larger than 2", and should be tight when slid onto the BCD's webbing.

5. The webbing on the canister should be shifted higher. Divers use the canister to capture their long hose, and the way the clamps are positioned now leave very little of the canister for this purpose.

7. Canister lights are used for signalling purposes in tech/cave dives. A tighter 6 degree beam will be much better. The current beam is too wide.

8. The battery charger that is supplied with the torch is silly. It has 2 charging slots, when the light has 3 batteries.

I disagree with a lot of your "improvements". The mount is just fine. The width of the handle seems like it is sized to fit large hands with dry gloves, not your particular hands. The weight seems fine to me. 6 degrees is too tight I think, but narrower could be better. You could also buy the light without the charger, which I like. No problem that way.

There is no problem with giving your opinion, but I doubt most people share some of those views.

1. I don't think the light head is too heavy. If you have never used a HID or even a light from UWLD, their head is of similar weight if not heavier.

2. I do think goodman is too wide. It is wider than LM goodman by 3/4", it is wider than Halcyon tropical goodman by a full inch. I think the LM goodman handle is good size. I highel double big hand + dry glove will need anything wider than that.

3-5, I have no issue here. In fact, webbing width is similar to LM or Halcyon canister. The canister being so light, I think the webbing stiffness is sufficient. If too stiff, I don't know how it can conform to such a narrow canister.

6. It will be nice if switch is on the head. But I am OK with the switch

7. being LED, this beam angle is decently narrow. UWLD beam is wider. Hollis and LM LED is about the same angle. The reason it feels wider is because the amount of light this thing can output. It light up a lot of surrounding.

8. I don't think the charger and battery are from Brinyte to begin with. You maybe getting a buddle deal from a 3rd party.

Yes, here is some of our test tools.

Count lumens by integrating sphere.(But in fact, you should jude the brightness of diving flashlight according to lux, not lumens)
Brinyte%20engineering%20department%201_zpsda5c350u.jpg

These used for electric, like circuit board.
Brinyte%20engineering%20department%203_zpszqxyourv.jpg

This is pressure cylinder.
Brinyte%20engineering%20department%207_zpsfnqkvwe0.jpg

Brinyte%20engineering%20department%206_zpshyepygvn.jpg

Maybe not strict testing....

ok ... can we see them and test procedure description ?

---------- Post added March 26th, 2015 at 03:08 AM ----------

Many thanks your advises! Our lights become perfect from customers feedback.
Now we just modify the bracket's screw: inner hexagon screw, stainless.

Dear Archer,

If you want to improve it have a switch on the light head and an option for the cable to come out at 90 degrees to the canister.

Is the light head not able to be used with a soft Goodman handle?

Is the light head not able to be used with a soft Goodman handle?

I'm not sure, but because my intention was to use it for cave, I need to use the metal Goodman handle.

I think it may be a combination of the weight and design of the handle that causes discomfort for me.
HID lights may be similarly heavy, but they have a larger surface area contacting the hand/wrist area which helps to distribute the load.

For the DIV10 all the weight of the light head is concentrated on the small cross bar of the goodman handle, which rests on the top of the hand. The edges of the handle are not rounded. Perhaps the weight of the head could be mitigated by a more ergonomically designed goodman handle.

All 3 divers who tried the light on my last dive gave the same feedback, that it's uncomfortable.

All 3 divers who tried the light on my last dive gave the same feedback, that it's uncomfortable.

I think the uncomfortable part is because of the balance. The head seems to mount too forward on the handle. If you look at the mounting location, there is about 1/2 of space that the head can be moved backward. In fact, I switch the goodman to a LM goodman, and move the head more center on the goodman.

@ brinyte

so if you have capability to test your lamps , I see no problems and obstacles to add to your page test reports and in that way also rise ''added value'' to yours products and go over competitors ?

Count lumens by integrating sphere.(But in fact, you should jude the brightness of diving flashlight according to lux, not lumens)

true , BUT lux data are very adaptable (usually measured NOT IN THE WATER what they should be ( we buying scuba torch not outdoor torch- true ? )) . If not tested at right conditions (usually for observer aye which can not detect differences because aye adapt itself ) surface could depends from roughness , colour of surface , it reflectivity ,... . And for luxmeter you have to take in account beam profile ; ok you might take only peak but diver observes surroundings with corona not with blinding spot which is used for signaling.

For instance single de-doomed cree XPG2 with some adaptations and overdrive might go over 1.000.000 lux ..... BUT do it have penetration power in the water ?
In that case comes up to surface lumens

BUT you advertise your product in LUMENS in big scale

HTB1gRcfGVXXXXa0XFXXq6xXFXXXY.jpg

as person who build lights in DIY style and also sometimes test my lights I KNOW that is hard to achieve these lumens which comes from led producer datasheet tested in ideal conditions to final product where counts details like thermal transfer and cooling during test , these reflectors have usual 95-98% reflectivity , do you have right AR coating inside front lens .... etc

I have personal interest to all kind of scuba lights (like design , materials , ideas , types of sealing , manufacturing quality , costumers satisfaction , and also testing ( what i do also for a job - not in lightning but in the automotive industry )

Regards Lucca

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom