Brinyte DIV10 "3000 Lumen" Canister light Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had to make one suggestion it would be a change in the power supply. The light is listed as using 3 pieces of 26650 batteries. No charger that I know of can handle that. While the 4-piece chargers can handle 4 pieces of other sizes, they can only charge 2 pieces of 26650. So you need 2 chargers, and they have to be independent slots so you can charge 3 batteries. Batteries are usually sold and charged in multiples of 2. Having a 3 cell light just creates difficulty. Would 4 pieces of 18650 do almost as well?

If I had to make one suggestion it would be a change in the power supply. The light is listed as using 3 pieces of 26650 batteries. No charger that I know of can handle that. While the 4-piece chargers can handle 4 pieces of other sizes, they can only charge 2 pieces of 26650. So you need 2 chargers, and they have to be independent slots so you can charge 3 batteries. Batteries are usually sold and charged in multiples of 2. Having a 3 cell light just creates difficulty. Would 4 pieces of 18650 do almost as well?

I've got this charger: Enova ALL-80 8x Li-Ion + NiMH Charger

I believe it charges 3 at a time, I regularly charge 3 x 26650 + 1 x 18650 seems to be charging all at once, at least the LED's indicate that.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2015 at 01:07 PM ----------

Is the light head not able to be used with a soft Goodman handle?

I take it this was a rhetorical question but for what it's worth I use the Finn Sub soft goodman which fits ok, I need to tighten it up quite a lot to avoid the head slipping through. I'm looking to "rubberise" it by gluing or stitching some inner tube material to the inner strap so it grips the head a bit better.

I believe it charges 3 at a time, I regularly charge 3 x 26650 + 1 x 18650 seems to be charging all at once, at least the LED's indicate that.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2015 at 01:07 PM ----------

That one looks pretty good for charging multiples. The only downsides are the size and cost. It's double the cost of buying 2 chargers to handle 2 batts each. Of course it's also double the capacity, but that would be wasted space. Still, that is a strong contender.

That one is almost as expensive and only handles 3 cells (which is enough for this application), but it charges through 2 outputs and one of them is 3V. I have concerns that it would unbalance the 3 cells.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I ordered one such charger (as well as a div10 light), it's on its way. As soon as I get it, I will test it, see charging currents and voltages and post the impressions here. Until then I cannot say anything about it.

The issue with this charger is more than size. It charges each channel at 0.5A. It can be a good charger for 18650. But 26650 4000mAh-5000mAh will take about 10 hours to full charged. It take way too slow. high capacity 26650 can take be charge at up to 2A. I am not saying I need a 2A/channel charger, but how about 1A channel, a 5 hour charging time a lot better than a 10 hour charging time

---------- Post added March 27th, 2015 at 01:10 PM ----------

This charger is NOT correctly charging Li-ion battery. It will work, it will charge all 3 battery at about 0.8A, which is faster than the one above.

This charger is NOT correctly charging Li-ion battery. ....

Can you give me more details? I know almost nothing about it but when I'll have it, I will definetely take a look inside.

Dear Archer,
This light is impressive in its brightness.

Some suggestions on how to improve the design of this light (some have been mentioned by others before), hopefully it can be fed back to the engineers and hope to see an upgraded light in future.

1. The light head is really too heavy. It is tiring and painful to use for more than a few minutes. Both me and my buddy who tried it have resorted to holding the light head itself in our right hand instead of using the goodman handle. My buddy had a Halcyon Focus, and in switching between these lights, the discomfort caused by the DIV 10 is very obvious.

2. The goodman handle is too wide. Shorten it to a typical hand's breadth to make it more usable.

3. If possible, round the edges of the goodman handle that come in contact with the top of the hand for improved comfort.

4. The webbing on the canister is too wide and loose. Most people use a 2" belt webbing for their BCD. The webbing on the canister should be just slightly larger than 2", and should be tight when slid onto the BCD's webbing.

5. The webbing on the canister should be shifted higher. Divers use the canister to capture their long hose, and the way the clamps are positioned now leave very little of the canister for this purpose.

6. A protected sturdy switch will be better than a press switch.

7. Canister lights are used for signalling purposes in tech/cave dives. A tighter 6 degree beam will be much better. The current beam is too wide.

8. The battery charger that is supplied with the torch is silly. It has 2 charging slots, when the light has 3 batteries.

Main gripe I have is the cable length, it's too long.

That one is almost as expensive and only handles 3 cells (which is enough for this application), but it charges through 2 outputs and one of them is 3V. I have concerns that it would unbalance the 3 cells.

On US eBay it runs around $30 shipped while the 2 of the 2 cells run about $10 shipped. So while more expensive it is only $10 more than two cell chargers. Do you have a less expensive choice?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom