British diver dead on the Stanfield - Spain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always thought it was a when, not if, I'd have a heart attack. A couple of years ago I decided to find a cardiologist before I needed one on an O. R. table.

I just had my check up last week and discussed cardiac calcium score retest. He said about 5 year intervals. But more than that, he explained the long process of build up.

As he explained, autopsy reports from the Korean war revealed 20year Olds with beginning stages of blockages. And they would not have had problems until their 40's or 50's.

All this was explained to me to get to his point... At 50 years old with a cardiac calcium of zero, I can stop worrying about when. He doesn't expect me to ever have a heart attack. Now if I can just keep my blood pressure under control, I'll live past 100!

Does scuba diving put added stress on the heart and cardiovascular system that another activity like hiking doesn't or were these people at risk doing any moderately strenuous exercise ?

Absolutely. The pressure in diving makes a difference.

Risk factors (e.g. obesity, smoking, fitness) do not always tell the story. EKGs don't always tell the story. EKG stress tests are better, but don't always tell the story. New imaging techniques are far superior as they identify blockages that don't cause symptoms. Our bodies often adapt to blockages and allow blood flow via new routes around the blockage. This is why symptoms don't always show up. All good until you put a little too much stress on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom