Brothers or Sudan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeina

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering going on a liveaboard sometime in February.
Since I have already done the Northern Red Sea itinerary twice, I was considering Brothers/Elphinstone on the Excel, or Sudan on the Pegasus or on the Ishtar.
Any comments on the boats, the season, the locations are welcome.
With a budget of 1,600 euros per person and one week max, if you think I should go to another spot altogether, please let me know :)

I spent 2 weeks on Suzanna-1 www.suzanna-1.com in August, Borthers, Elphinstone, Deadelus. Spectacular boat, diving excellent including Manta's, Oceanic White Tip, Hammers. Deepish diving at 40m or 50m if qualified. Crew and food first class. For that budget you should preety much be able to get on any boat for the southern red sea intinery. Dive guides told us that August was not the best time to go. My uncle went on the same boat in November and saw Oceanics pretty much every day. Reefs are stunning, enjoy. I have heard terrific things abount the Sudan but never been. The thing that puts me off a little is an overnight stop is required to and from so a weeks diving turns into 9 days holiday.

Neil

That Brothers-Elphinstone-Deadalus itinerary sounds like a winner to me!!
For some reason, its is seldom offered before spring (April or so)...
The couple of dive ops I have spoken with say it is too windy during winter months.
Ah well, it is definitely on my to do list, though!!!

So it is probably too late, but for next year Zeina ...

I have done several trips to both locations. First I must say that your comparison is a bit unfair, since Brothers is only one dive area with a handful or two of dive spots, Sudan is a country with an almost uncountable number of dive spots. Anyway, even if you take the whole of the Egyptian Red Sea into the picture, Sudan gets my vote without any hesitation. Places like Sha'ab Rumi, Sanganeb and Angarosh in Sudan has consistently delivered "once in a life time dives" to me on my three trips there. Then add the exitement of visiting the remains of Cousteaus Conshelf II or diving s/s Umbrea, which many wreckies think hands the Thistlegorm its a** on a platter. Brother Islands has also delivered one or two really (I mean really, really) spectacular dives, but not quite on the same level and frequency as the best dive spots in Sudan. Generally the marine life is much more intense and varied in Sudan than in Egypt. There are many more sharks in Sudan and it's virtually empty of divers compared to the Brothers. Haven't been to Sudan since 2002, but then we were alone on the reefs for much of the time. This might be the case for Dedalus and Rocky Island/Zabargad and south to the Sudanese border in Egypt, but not for the Brothers which in my opinion is the superior diving together with Elphinstone in Egypt. My impression is that viz. usually is a little bit better around Brothers than the reefs in Sudan, but it varies and is almost always better than 20 mtrs / 60 ft. And the season you mention is more correct for Sudan, you can find shelter on or near the best reefs like Sanganeb, Sha'ab Rumi and Shambaya close to Angarosh. For the off shore islands in Egypt you can probably forget it as the weather is unreliable. Summer is in my opinion the best for Egypt.

Some pictures thatI have taken in the Sudanese Red Sea:

http://www.dykarna.se/photoAlbum/album.asp?userId=4389&albumId=1112

Good luck.

Christian

Zeina:
I am considering going on a liveaboard sometime in February.
Since I have already done the Northern Red Sea itinerary twice, I was considering Brothers/Elphinstone on the Excel, or Sudan on the Pegasus or on the Ishtar.
Any comments on the boats, the season, the locations are welcome.
With a budget of 1,600 euros per person and one week max, if you think I should go to another spot altogether, please let me know :)

I've been to brothers before and I liked it so much, I would prefer you another liveaboard boat called LadyM if you are interested contact me on gehad_zedian@hotmail.com

After over 150 dives in Sudan, and a more or less the same amount in Egypt I agree with Christian. Except that I saw Angarosh one day without current, therefor without sharks and it lost lots of its attraction... On Brothers I once saw the biggest manta ray ever and a school of dolphins in one dive...

You'll never know what will happen, but given the choice I would go for Sudan.

Glad to hear that you had a good trip!

You must have seen sharks there, because Windows Media Player says your wmf-file is to dangerous to play:D

Pity though, I would like to see it, but who am I to challence Microsofts wise judgement?

I'll try to find a player that is not scared off so easily:wink:

Edited: couldn't find a player that will show it. So I visited your website instead, and that was well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom