BSAC or PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillmorton Scubie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been asked if BSAC or PADI training make a divemaster/instructor more employable.
I have my opinion, but what is the general consensus.

Whatever you pick, someone here will tell you how stupid you are and they know more than you. I have taught in the Bahamas, Florida, Cayman, Canada and here in Alaska.
If you want to travel the world, take a look at the Dive Centres and see who they are affiliated with and pick that agency. If you are staying in in the U.K. it might be a different answer. Good luck and PM me if you want less criptic advice

PADI is generally more well known worldwide although the BSAC recognition is growing.

PADI makes a divemaster/instructor more employable. As Uncleavi says if you want a fuller answer PM me.

I have been asked if BSAC or PADI training make a divemaster/instructor more employable.

More "employable"... in what way?

A DM is a DM. If a resort wants to furnish someone to do guided tours, they might or not require you to have a card. Either one should do nicely.

If you have a DM and you want to assist an Instructor or work your way through the process, your cards are better off matching the boss.

If you want to be an instructor in paradise, you're going to need to match-up with the operation.

If you want to be an instructor in the UK, it all boils back to marketing and visibility.

BSAC in terms of training is by far the better experience.
BSAC are a very strong agency in Japan and Taiwan as well as many sites through Asia.

In terms of Instructor training, it is always easier and cheaper to do a PADI IDC and then do a cross over than the other way round, no matter what agency.

BSAC Cross overs are offered in Thailand. I am also aware that BSAC has plans to widen its influence in dive instruction to other areas of the globe beside the UK.

Just a personal opinion but I do feel the courses offered by BSAC as far superior to the majority. I have taught students with BSAC ow equivalent and find the depth of knowledge and skills on basic levels awesome.

One commendable difference is BSAC students are taught how to surface a buddy in the unlikely event of a problem. PADI, you have to do the rescue divers course to learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom