Bubblin' octos and bungied backups.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenSquirrel

Reaction score
How do you keep a bungied backup from bubbling and free flowing?

I have used a couple different regs (loaners, rentals, and now my own) and my octo (regardless of make) always wants to bubble on me. If you my 2nd stage in the water and point the mountpiece toward the surface I get a free flow.

The attached image is the type of octo holder that I'm currently using. I stick the octo in the holder and it hangs off my shoulder D-ring. When I first get in the water I get a stream of bubbles coming out of where the "key ring" goes though the octo material. I have to fiddle with it for a bit and sometimes I have to decend a couple feet (to get pressure) to get it to stop.

I was thinking about trying a bungied backup but I can't figure out how you would keep the backup from free-flowing right in your face all the time.

Any suggestions?

My current primary is a Scubapro S600 and my secondary is an ancient Dacor Pacer 350 (no tuning knobs) which is about to be replaced with an R380. Any words of wisdom as to how to make this work?

The octo doesn't need to be a super good breather. My safe seconds breathe pretty hard.

This is pretty much required if the 2nd isn't adjustable.

I also carry the 2nd mouthpiece down. Mouthpiece up tends to cause bubbling.

Peter

If you use an octo/secondary that doesn't have a cracking pressure adjustment, and you have others service your regs, be sure to label the secondary as such and request that they set it up with higher than normal cracking pressure.

I like my octo setup so that it will not start to flow even when the mouthpiece it turned upwards in shallow water.

A low-on-air or out-of-air diver will probably be sucking air so hard and fast that he won't notice a couple inches of cracking pressure. OTOH, he WILL want lots of air, so your octo should have reasonable work-of-breathing at high flow rates.

ZenSquirrel once bubbled...

I have used a couple different regs (loaners, rentals, and now my own) and my octo (regardless of make) always wants to bubble on me. If you my 2nd stage in the water and point the mountpiece toward the surface I get a free flow.

<snip>

Any suggestions?

My current primary is a Scubapro S600 and my secondary is an ancient Dacor Pacer 350 (no tuning knobs) which is about to be replaced with an R380. Any words of wisdom as to how to make this work?

I would have the regs checked, first and foremost, for intermmediate pressure. The situation you describe above is a typical indicator of a first stage which is either not keeping IP properly, or is simply set too high.

...Then take it from there.

SeaJay once bubbled...

I would have the regs checked, first and foremost, for intermmediate pressure. The situation you describe above is a typical indicator of a first stage which is either not keeping IP properly, or is simply set too high.

...Then take it from there.

Or, its a high performance regulator thats set correctly and turned upside down. Mine do that, and have nothing to do with high IP.

MD

I'm unclear as to what, exactly, the original poster was asking... Is he talking about little bubbles streaming out, or is he talking about a catastrophic freeflow?

Do your high performance regs bubble or freeflow? My high performance regs don't do either, but I had to detune my backup to prevent catastrophic freeflows when I hit the water on entry. Even so, it still happens from time to time.

Streaming bubbles... I've always found that to be an IP problem... You haven't?

My detuned safe 2nds never bubble unless I have them adjusted to max. flow and I have the venturi set to "plaid".

Before I did this they would freeflow on water entry (grrr) and in a decent (2+ knot) current.

The current out of Manatee actually managed to make my S600 freeflow until I turned it around. That is a monster current that I would not want to encounter in the ocean.

Now that you mention it, part of this may be because I am so much better at positioning them correct before and during the dive.

Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Maybe even do a test dive! Yes, that's the ticket!

Later,
Peter

actually the problem is the holder!!!!!!! NOT THE SETTING....

The Scuz Ball you are using traps air and creates a conditon where the pressure inside the regulator is lower than the pressure on the outside of the second stage. This causes the diaphram to depress slightly and purge the second stage.

Punch a 3/8" hole in the top to allow the air to escape and the freeflow will disappear.

Use to use this type of octo holder and gave it up for several reasons.

Switch to a Dive-Rite Octopus Holder part # AC2086 or something like it and you'll be alot happier

Hallmac

get a 7' hose and bungee the backup around your neck. Try it just once - I think you'll love it.

Heck - I'll even make you a bungee necklace if you want one.

I had the same problem with this type of octo holder... the key is to submerge the octopus in the water fitst, and then insert it inside the ball (underwater). But, to tell the truth, these type of octo holders, also called scumballs (cus they keep the scum out ofy our octo mouth peice) is not the best. check out the scubapro holder instead - works much better, and gives a more streamlines position of your regulator.

http://www.scubastore.com/images/fotos/scu00046.jpg

Back
Top Bottom