Bubblin' octos and bungied backups.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I turn the mouthpiece down on entry; this prevents it from freeflowing when I jump in.

Once its fully submerged, you can turn it back so the mouthpiece points at your mouth. Since the stage is flooded and there is no air in the reg, there is nothing to cause a freeflow to begin.

I had the same problem with this type of octo holder... the key is to submerge the octopus in the water fitst, and then insert it inside the ball (underwater). But, to tell the truth, these type of octo holders, also called scumballs (cus they keep the scum out ofy our octo mouth peice) is not the best. check out the scubapro holder instead - works much better, and gives a more streamlines position of your regulator.

http://www.scubastore.com/images/fotos/scu00046.jpg

Detune your backup reg so that it is less likely to freeflow. As previously stated, you don't really need a super high performace reg for a backup. You want long term reliability over an ultra light breather here.

Wear your backup reg in a bungee necklace around your neck. This keeps your backup protected and right where you need it.

The S600/R380 is the same setup I use. (I use 2 Mk25s as the 1sts) Outstanding breathers.

but its an ADJUSTABLE one, and I simply crank it down a turn or so.

If I need it, I want it to not only work, but to breathe nicely. Since its MINE, and is not something I will give away, I am very interested in a nice-breathing reg in that position!

Wow. I thought this would be a simple question with a simple answer, but I guess not.

Here is some clairification for those that care.

The problem is a light stream of bubbles coming out of the holder upon first entering the water. I have not had a problem with a full free flow. I would expect that if the octo did do a full free flow that it would blow itself out of the octo holder.

My "solution" for the moment is to
- Get the ancient Dacor Pacer octo off my reg and hook up my R380
- Switch octo holders
- And I'm going to have my shop double check my pressure.

I will try the long hose w/ bungie backup but I like to make 1 change at a time. I don't want to be playing with my hose routing and trying to keep my backup from bubbling in my face.

Thanks for all the help!

Boogie711 once bubbled...
get a 7' hose and bungee the backup around your neck. Try it just once - I think you'll love it.

Heck - I'll even make you a bungee necklace if you want one.

Thanks for the offer but I think I can manage. Making accessories out of bungie is becoming an interesting secondary skill. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom