Buckeye diver new to forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello All. I'm new to the forum, but I have a lot of logged and unlogged dives behind me. At the age of 9 I saw one of the first underwater movies ever produced - "Beneath the 12 mile Reef" with a very young Robert Wagner and Gilbert Roland. I was caught hook, line and sinker by the images that my young eyes saw. I bought my first tank, reg, and wet suit ( BC's were not even thought of yet) from a hardware store in 1958 and started exploring local lakes and quarries. The older I get, the worse it gets (so says my wife)
Looking forward to participating in the forum.

Barracuda2

I'm a new/old diver myself. Got certified in 1978 in Hawaii while there with the 25th Infantry. Bought most of my gear at the swap meet and made a lot of beach dives around Hawaii and a couple in Georgia and Florida in the next couple years. Then sold the gear and got out of it for a LONG time. Now I'm back, buying new gear and getting ready for some coldwater diving here in the Great Lakes and perhaps in an Ohio Quarry later in the season...

You'll find a lot of nice folks here on the board and lots of opportunity to share what you know with the rest of us.

Barracuda2 once bubbled...
Hello All. I'm new to the forum, but I have a lot of logged and unlogged dives behind me. At the age of 9 I saw one of the first underwater movies ever produced - "Beneath the 12 mile Reef" with a very young Robert Wagner and Gilbert Roland. I was caught hook, line and sinker by the images that my young eyes saw. I bought my first tank, reg, and wet suit ( BC's were not even thought of yet) from a hardware store in 1958 and started exploring local lakes and quarries. The older I get, the worse it gets (so says my wife)
Looking forward to participating in the forum.

Barracuda2

1958??? Did they have dive equipment then? :D

Where abouts in NW Ohio... East or West of I75? Where do you normally dive?

We're probably not too far apart.

Welcome to the board.

Bob

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...
I'm a new/old diver myself. Got certified in 1978 in Hawaii while there with the 25th Infantry. Bought most of my gear at the swap meet and made a lot of beach dives around Hawaii and a couple in Georgia and Florida in the next couple years. Then sold the gear and got out of it for a LONG time. Now I'm back, buying new gear and getting ready for some coldwater diving here in the Great Lakes and perhaps in an Ohio Quarry later in the season...

You'll find a lot of nice folks here on the board and lots of opportunity to share what you know with the rest of us.

If you're talking about Gilboa Quarry, maybe I.ll see you there. I frequent the place quite a bit.

Barracuda2

cwb once bubbled...

1958??? Did they have dive equipment then? :D

Where abouts in NW Ohio... East or West of I75? Where do you normally dive?

We're probably not too far apart.

Welcome to the board.

Bob

I live in Williams County - the last county before MI and IN - near Bryan, Oh - Archbold, OH

Denny

Fellow I met a few weeks ago says he makes the trip down there a couple times a year for diving...I'll probably tag along in the spring to put in some time in my new drysuit. It's about 3 hours from where I'm living in Frankenmuth...

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...
Fellow I met a few weeks ago says he makes the trip down there a couple times a year for diving...I'll probably tag along in the spring to put in some time in my new drysuit. It's about 3 hours from where I'm living in Frankenmuth...

I live only about 40 min. away from Gilboa. Isn't it funny the way a dry suit makes us older guys real whooses. When diving around here or the Great Lakes, I won't even look at my wet suit until about the end of July. Have you been to Gilboa yet?

Denny

Just wanted to say thanks for beating my Spartans in the Big Ten tourney.:eek:ut:

Seriously, i was rooting for your guys to win it so they would make the show, we were already in. Too bad they lost and are out.

Denny,

Nope, not yet. I need to get a drysuit class out of the way before I get really crazy about diving every weekend. Have a farm to take care of most weekends too, so Scuba will have to fit in somewhere this season.

Like I said earlier, I'm just coming back. I took a refresher about two years ago, and made some dives, and started buying up some new equipment. In January I made six dives off three different islands in the Carib (that was tough, let me tell you) and now I'm looking to get into some serious cold water diving. My Drysuit has never been wet, the seals aren't even trimmed yet. So I expect all that will start up as soon as the ice goes off the lakes around here.

Last I heard, Gilboa was closed due to ice on the surface. Is it still that way?

Tom in Frankenmuth

Back
Top Bottom