Buddy out of the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sciguyman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok here's my situation. There is some golf clubs and other objects on the bottom of the lake I like on. They are in about 20 feet of water. I've tried skin diving for them, but I can't stay down long enough to find them. ( Vis is about 2 feet, with a mud bottom). Heres my question. Im a new diver, with no known buddy near me. Is there anyway you think it would be safe to have a harness to a "buddy" on the surface, and do and Ok? OK pull thing every thirty seconds or something? I see the risks involved, such as getting entangled in something, or passing out, or panicing, but I am very comfortable in the water. Along with the buddy, Id also have stronger people that could pull me out of the water, and some people with skin diving experience. Any input on whether this would be a total no-go, or an acceptable risk? Thanks in advance. ( also, obviously I'll think some more on whether or not the risk is worth getting some golf clubs and a few other objects) Thanks in advance, Jesse.

sciguyman:
also, obviously I'll think some more on whether or not the risk is worth getting some golf clubs and a few other objects) Thanks in advance, Jesse.

I think you answered your own question.

DaytonaDave:
I think you answered your own question.

Your right, I did answer my own question. Sometime's all it takes I guess is saying it out loud, and getting all your thoughts down somewhere. And for someone with experience to tell you so. Thank you, Jesse

Because the conditions are so poor at the dive site, you really need someone diving with you. I see the 2 feet of visibility as just one hazard. I see the harness attached to your surface support as another. Problems can arise very quickly, and it may take up to a minute or longer for your surface support to realize it. Have you tried to find a local dive club? My guess is there is one in your home town. ... Find a buddy to help you find your treasures.

I would start by looking for clubs and buddies in this forum

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170

sciguyman:
Ok here's my situation. There is some golf clubs and other objects on the bottom of the lake I like on. They are in about 20 feet of water. I've tried skin diving for them, but I can't stay down long enough to find them. ( Vis is about 2 feet, with a mud bottom). Heres my question. Im a new diver, with no known buddy near me. Is there anyway you think it would be safe to have a harness to a "buddy" on the surface, and do and Ok? OK pull thing every thirty seconds or something? I see the risks involved, such as getting entangled in something, or passing out, or panicing, but I am very comfortable in the water. Along with the buddy, Id also have stronger people that could pull me out of the water, and some people with skin diving experience. Any input on whether this would be a total no-go, or an acceptable risk? Thanks in advance. ( also, obviously I'll think some more on whether or not the risk is worth getting some golf clubs and a few other objects) Thanks in advance, Jesse.

You could just dredge the lake which would be the safest way to recover "unknown" objects. By unknown, I mean something that could cut you very badly since vis is only about 2 feet.

sciguyman:
Your right, I did answer my own question. Sometime's all it takes I guess is saying it out loud, and getting all your thoughts down somewhere. And for someone with experience to tell you so. Thank you, Jesse

Good call.

Now go to you regional forum here on SB and ask if sombody will buddy with you for this expedition. You may have to share the loot or buy chow.

Pete

sciguyman:

There are certainly divers that are capable of doing this dive alone. However, you profile says you are 15 years old?

I can still remember being 15, and I would respectfully say that the chances of you having the abilities and atributes to pull this solo dive off are low.

I would get a buddy, or leave the clubs at the bottom. BTW-how did the clubs get there, known to you in 20 feet of water with 2 foot vis? They aren't yours, are they? :14:

DivingCRNA:
I can still remember being 15, and I would respectfully say that the chances of you having the abilities and atributes to pull this solo dive off are low.

I would get a buddy, or leave the clubs at the bottom. BTW-how did the clubs get there, known to you in 20 feet of water with 2 foot vis? They aren't yours, are they? :14:

I am 15, almost 16, and as a result I probably over-estimate my diving skills at times, yes. Ive decided to most defently NOT do this dive alone. As for the how the golf clubs got there, some friends and I were golfing rotton apples off of my dock, and someone got mad, and thought it would be funny to throw it ( the club) into the lake. Sure enough, they had never even tried skindiving, let alone scuba, anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom