Budget Lighting for Canon SD870IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robzr

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Canon SD870IS w/ the Canon underwater housing, and I'd like to get a budget video lighting setup for it. I really don't know anything about this, so any info, even obvious stuff would be much appreciated. I am aware that "budget video lighting" is an oxymoron :) I'm interested in recording mainly shipwreck penetrations in the great lakes, so 5-50+ ft vis, little ambient lighting.

I was thinking, if reviews turn out decent, that a pair of these may be nice, for around $230 apiece:

:: INTOVA ::

Would that be adequate lighting power? Anything else in that pricerange that would be worth considering?

On top of that, it looks like I'll need a tray and two arm kits. I haven't seen anything in this realm that I would consider "low budget" for some reason. Any thoughts on that?

Rob

I I'm interested in recording mainly shipwreck penetrations in the great lakes, so 5-50+ ft vis, little ambient lighting.

I was thinking, if reviews turn out decent, that a pair of these may be nice, for around $230 apiece:

:: INTOVA ::

On top of that, it looks like I'll need a tray and two arm kits. I haven't seen anything in this realm that I would consider "low budget" for some reason. Any thoughts on that?

Rob

Not a lot of lumens, but a nice-looking design. If you are penetrating I would consider getting as much light as possible for both the camera and backup. Caves and dark wrecks simply gobble up video lighting.

That being said I like Salvo lighting products for their versatility, robust design and most importantly - excellent customer service!

X

Yeah I have a Salvo 35w HID, someone told me that I could buy just a reflector head for it, so I think I'll go that route. Any suggestions on a budget tray / arm that would work with that?

Rob

Yeah I have a Salvo 35w HID, someone told me that I could buy just a reflector head for it, so I think I'll go that route. Any suggestions on a budget tray / arm that would work with that?

Rob

Well I'm suprised nobody else is really interested in this. The SD870IS seems like a great little budget video device - with a modest wide angle (28mm equiv), optical image stabilization, 640x480 @ 30 fps limited only by the memory card - thats a lot of video time on a 16 gb SDHC. With the IS, the movies look great - a huge step up from non IS point & shoots.

Camera ($260) + Housing ($165) + Tray & video arm ($50) + Salvo 35w video reflector & universal adapter ($125) = $600 total. I figure thats a pretty sweet setup for the money, not to mention it will pack up very nice and small for travel.

Here's what I ended up ordering if anyone else is looking for a budget setup; it's not in yet, but I'll post a review when I get it:

Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- Single Stay Slot Tray ($30 shipped @ LP)
Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- Flex Arm 18 ($20 shipped @ LP)
Salvo Supply - Video Head
Salvo Supply - Universal Adapter

The video reflector works great, nice even wide light.

Rob

No one is excited about it because it's a camera being used for video. While I'm sure your vids look decent, it's probably similar to camcorders that take stills.

Probably ok for occassional use, but you'll get much better photos from a dedicated camera and much better video from a dedicated camcorder.

Guess it depends on what you want to do with the finished product. Want to print your pictures and hang them on the wall ? Get a camera. Want to watch your video on a big tv or make a dvd ? Get a camcorder.

Just my 2 cents.

No one is excited about it because it's a camera being used for video. While I'm sure your vids look decent, it's probably similar to camcorders that take stills.

Probably ok for occassional use, but you'll get much better photos from a dedicated camera and much better video from a dedicated camcorder.

Guess it depends on what you want to do with the finished product. Want to print your pictures and hang them on the wall ? Get a camera. Want to watch your video on a big tv or make a dvd ? Get a camcorder.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I really didn't think you guys spending twice as much on your housings as my entire setup cost would be "excited", I'm just suprised there aren't more guys in my situation who have these point and shoots who are looking for or found decent video lighting on the cheap...with digital technology the gap is being bridged between still & video cameras, I find it pretty impressive the quality of video I can get for the size and price of this unit.

Rob

Yeah, I've seen what those little cams can do. Pretty darn impressive, almost in a James Bond gadget kind of way.

Video has changed. Not too long ago a 25" TV was considered great. Now a days, many people have HDTV's 40" and larger. Watch your 640x480 res video on it and you might not be so happy. But, you can buy a HD camcorder for under $1K and it will look stunning on a HDTV.

You can get into HD UW video for under $1.8k, camcorder and housing. Not cheap, but not too crazy. I'm LOCO, don't want to say what I've spent on my system.....

Back
Top Bottom