Building air pressure scooter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As said the Air tool is the way to go,they can be purchased by the volume of air used per min and power,and run off the low pressure line of your reg,

you will get about 10-15 min of diver pull from a AL 80-wish I had a pick it strapped to the tank and fan-propeller in center behind regulator valve air tool chuck holds fan propeller shaft,

Another possible link. Various air motors.

ACTUATORS AND AIR MOTORS

Nice.
You'd just have to ensure that no water gets in. Put a non-return valve on the air outlet and ensure that there is a very slow bleed of air from the throttle regulator even in the "off" position to keep the motor always pressurized above ambient.

Also to avoid contaminating the environment with the air/oil mist required you can now get environmentally friendly 2 stroke oils that dissolve in water for nautical use. So you should use this type of oil in the lubricator.

When I was younger I used to design and build free flight aircraft using CO2 powered motors. They are basically a single cylinder expansion motor with a piston and rod that turns a rotary crankshaft. The advantage to this design as compared to a impeller or turbine design is that it is much more efficient with virtually no blowby.

A motor like that would work equally well with air but CO2 offers the advantage of a consistent working pressure and storage of the "gas" as a liquid under pressure offering much more gas volume and a longer run time from a given cylinder size.

I've run the numbers using various modern, high efficiency drives and it isn't practical. The volume just isn't sufficient to provide much more than 10 minutes of trigger time with an AL80. There are also back pressure issues that would need to be resolved.

Great concept, though.

Back
Top Bottom