Building custom weight for BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings, sort of thinking out loud right now. I am looking at my BC and am thinking that I could build a weight for it to eliminate a good portion of weight that I have to normally carry in the pockets. The BC in question is a "TUSA Imprex Pro cubic 3D". This particular BC has a somewhat independent harness and bladder. I'm thinking I could put a plate of stainless in between the back pad and the "tank holding cradle". I typically need 14 - 18 lbs of weight with my 7mm suit in fresh cold water which is where I anticipate the vast majority of my future diving to occur. I'm thinking that if I can fabricate a plate about 4" X 11" and maybe 3/8" thick it might weigh in at 8 -10 lbs. This weight would be right on my back and in between the shoulders. I don't know. wadda yall think, worth pursuing?

...assuming you have to 'fly' to travel to dive spots...why would you even want to increase your rig's 'permanent' ballast versus just using the 'free' lead (meant to be used in weight pockets/belt) at the actual dive location ? Everyday the airlines are getting worse and worse about weight limits and excessive weight fees.

...assuming you have to 'fly' to travel to dive spots...why would you even want to increase your rig's 'permanent' ballast versus just using the 'free' lead (meant to be used in weight pockets/belt) at the actual dive location ? Everyday the airlines are getting worse and worse about weight limits and excessive weight fees.

Not everybody travels to far away sun drenched tropical climes to dive.

I typically need 14 - 18 lbs of weight with my 7mm suit in fresh cold water which is where I anticipate the vast majority of my future diving to occur.

Sounds like PC is diving near home.

Tobin

Yep
I will be diving close to home. I live about 1 hour from my local "hole" and about 2 hours from New Jersey. Most of my diving will definitly be drive and dive type adventures. The weight thing that I am thinking about would be easily removable with 4 screws so even if I am able to fly and dive I could very easily remove the contraption.

I am hoping however that this thing is gonna work so well that I'll gladly pay the extra baggage fees....:eyebrow:

Yep
I will be diving close to home. I live about 1 hour from my local "hole" and about 2 hours from New Jersey. Most of my diving will definitly be drive and dive type adventures. The weight thing that I am thinking about would be easily removable with 4 screws so even if I am able to fly and dive I could very easily remove the contraption.

I am hoping however that this thing is gonna work so well that I'll gladly pay the extra baggage fees....:eyebrow:

...well, as someone else who also likes to design/build custom BCs I wish you the best of luck in your little project. :)

Are you using steel tanks? Switching from alluminum to steel tanks is a great way to add weight.

Why not just add some weight pockets to the tank bands? You have the added weight if needed and can remove it if you need to. They are already available and likely much cheaper than plate SS plus being adjustable as needed.

I did a similar thing but with a different BC. I use a Apeks WTX Harness with a DiveRite Venture wing. I wanted more weight on the BC for better trim and less belt weight. I used a couple of 3/8"x3" stainless bars and wrapped them in adhesive backed vinyl (window weather striping) and slide them into the back plate pocket. Works perfect.

DSC03116_Medium_.JPG

DSC03117_Medium_.JPG

Are you using steel tanks? Switching from alluminum to steel tanks is a great way to add weight.
Actually I am using both. It depends on whats available. I definitly prefer to use steel 100 HP. Better trim and less weight in pockets. One thing I failed to mention in original post is that I am using both a 7 mm wetsuit with a 5/3 hooded vest underneath. I think this combo really increases the buoyancy of my torso. I can't move the tank any higher in the BC without constantly bonking my head on the first stage.

Why not just add some weight pockets to the tank bands? You have the added weight if needed and can remove it if you need to. They are already available and likely much cheaper than plate SS plus being adjustable as needed.

Actually I had no idea that someone even made such a device. I know,,,,, "silly boy this is SCUBA, someone, somewhere makes a device for everything!!" I think I'm gonna try something like that. Based on that concept I think I'll just cable tie a couple of three pound weights to the upper band on my BC just to experiment with the effect this will have on my trim. I am hoping to get to the local hole on Sunday. If I do I'll let you know how it worked. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom