Bull shark attacks man from Deerfield Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what is the proper response should a bull shark target you?
if you have a knife, simply perforate your buddy, then head for the boat. It's one more reason to have a buddy. :wink:

Posted via Mobile Device

"Also on his mind: He wants to one day return to the reef with his brother, Jorge Hernandez, of Tampa, and hunt down that shark."

So, am I the only one that kinda hopes the shark brings its big brother to the next rumble . . .

I didn't know the guy that hosted "Family Feud" (and was on "Hogans Hero's") was so smart.......

Oh yeah, that was Richard DAWSON.....

ssssssss sorry

Luis A. Hernandez - age 48:
"The first thing I thought was, 'Wow, nice shark!" he said. "So I swam a little closer and thought about spearing it, but decided to let it go. I just poked it so it would get out of my way."

This statement would be hard for the reporter to have misunderstood or to misquote.

This guy gets no sympathy from me.

Good catch (correction) FishEye. Yeah, ya mess with the Bull Shark, HORNS.

I have heard the Keys have lots of Bulls, but it's not even listed on Franco's card
(only the nurse shark) This will be my first visit to the Keys. I'm psyched!

"Also on his mind: He wants to one day return to the reef with his brother, Jorge Hernandez, of Tampa, and hunt down that shark."

and, pray tell, how on earth is he going to tell "his" shark from all the other bull sharks hanging around any given square mile of ocean?

perhaps the shark had a distinctive tattoo ... or was one-armed

Someone once said, "Ignorance is not a crime, but advertising it is." Maybe this guy is guilty of that. :D

Anyway, just to play devil's advocate......

Is it not POSSIBLE, that once again a newspaper reporter/the media screwed up the entire article? You know, they do tend to screw up everything when it comes to diving and sharks.

Is it not POSSIBLE that worst place to be with agressive sharks and a speared fish is on the surface and a decent distance from the boat?

Is it not POSSIBLE that Exuma, being very popular with inexperienced spearfishermen, is chock full of sharks that have been "hand-fed?" You know there is a reason why in national parks tell you not to feed the bears.

Is is not POSSIBLE that this guy did what is often the right thing in a nasty situation and get agressive right back at the shark and give it good poke? Is it not possble the reporter didnt quite understand that and reported wrong? Believe it or not, this the often the best solution when a shark is on your fish.

Of course it is possible this guy is also a total knuckle head, but I willing to suspend judgement either way about a guy losing his hand as I wanst really there.

However, the line about returning to hunt down said bull shark was really, really lame.

Never mind. :D

Not only is it possible, but quite true... I heard the story first hand as a group of us from work went to visit him in the hospital before it made it into the newspaper and that's not how he told the story.

He admits he made quite a few mistakes, but not quite like it was told on the newspaper. As of last week he's had 7 operations on his arm just to stop the infection and replace muscle tissue.

I can't say if he said or didn't say he would return to hunt down the fish to the reporter, but what I can tell you is that they (him and a group of 6 other couples) were supposed to get back to the Bahamas this weekend and they travel there frequently.

LowVizWhiz-- In the spirit of Paul Harvey and because I have "Been There" first hand on a hot call then read about it the next day....

I would honestly and unbiasly like to hear his side even second hand hearsay from you.

Personally I saw some good spearo's diving on ScubaSteve's trip handle a situation like this. They were doing fairly well spearing fish and a bullshark came cruising around showing great interest in their fish. The shark was doing everthing a Bullshark does with blood in the water and fish drumming the currents. They took their catch and heading for the surface post haste.

and, pray tell, how on earth is he going to tell "his" shark from all the other bull sharks hanging around any given square mile of ocean?

perhaps the shark had a distinctive tattoo ... or was one-armed
It's the one with the "poke marks".

if you have a knife, simply perforate your buddy, then head for the boat. It's one more reason to have a buddy. :wink:
[/i]

I've got a knife... Just looking for a buddy at MDU.. Thanks for the advice.. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom