Bull sharks at Chumphon Pinnacle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark fins in Pattaya
so scary your picture is, that are just a few. I have seen them piled per 10 pcs or per kg, a large room full of that. I can't estimate how many, but I guess thousands.
I also recall: two companies signed a contract and all the staff was invited and the customer, so maybe 500-800 people in a laaarge room. Served for everyone Shark-Fin soup. One company Dutch with Chinese/Thai manager and shareholder, one company US with british Manager....
Shark Fin soup for 500-800 people!!!!!!!

I take it that from Limbo's pic, shark finning is still legal in Thailand? Or do the authorities simply turn a blind eye?

Not too sure about the actual legal status of finning sharks but afaik it's totally legit to sell shark fins (soup) in Thailand.

Asking arround, I got the answers: It does not make any difference if it is allowed or not :confused:
And about the soup: Mr. Thaksin eats it many time (in a restaurant/hotel I didn't know and so could not remember the name). So as Mr. Thaksin eats it, it must be legal, he wouldn't do something wrong or?

That was the answer of the Thais in my office.....sounds pretty cynical

Sounds like a typical Thai answer to me..........

Files in the same category as;

I don't eat beef because Rama V (King # 5) didn't eat beef.

One of my former staff didn't eat beef, because cattle are such big animals.....
Maybe we should start to tell that Rama V didn't eat sharkfins.....
(might not help as I think it is mostly the Chinese who eat it not the Thais)

HI,

I just read your write-up and recalled one of my 2007 amateur video done in Chumphon July. Viz was not good with currents. Up to Sail Rock, we are still able to see them.

Chumphon Dive July 2007 on Yahoo! Video

Initially, we have been arguing that is resembles to a sand bar shark as we've only one book that showed the different type of shark and possibilities of finding them there.

Finally, someone confirmed ! Bull shark that I have been diving with ... haha

Any recent sightings? Frequency? I'm thinking about going to Thailand again to dive some deep wrecks with the MV Trident folks (jamiemac et al.) and wouldn't mind seeing some big toothy critters before I do the tech stuff ...

Not sure if they're anout, haven't been there in ages. but if you come we'll get out there in the afternoon, go deep over the sand and do some noisy tec skills, if they're there they'll find us for sure.

Just hope the pesky big spotty sharks don't get in the way

Jamie

All shark sightings tend to drop off when it gets colder here throughout monsoon. Maybe they are still there but deeper or we dont see them due to lower viz. I have literally bumped into one in about 1m viz though - not sure who jumped furthest - me or the shark ! About this time of year they start to be seen again and a few have been spotted so far so we'll expect sightings to gradually increase in line with the better conditions.

Whalesharks are still seen and there was one yesterday heralding the return of these creatures to our sites. They tend to hang around til May and we see a few again in Sept and Oct.

Bull sharks or large reef sharks - not sure - but they are amazing to see. Maybe there are both as some do seem to be larger and bulkier than others. I always count myself very lucky to see them whichever they are. I guess you'll only really know if you come and check it our for yourself. Chumpon pinnacle is an exciting dive, I've seen marlin hunting here too and literally walls of barracuda ! I do have a few photos - take a look and decide for yourself......

http://learntodiveonkohtao.com/sharks-at-chumpon-pinnacle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom